Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the dealer billed me for four quarts of oil for the prius. Should I be worried? How do I check if it has too much? I know check the oil to see if they fixed the drain, but what about too much?

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
gasik1417 said:
So the dealer billed me for four quarts of oil for the prius. Should I be worried? How do I check if it has too much? I know check the oil to see if they fixed the drain, but what about too much?
Better than when I first went to one dealer - they charged for 5 quarts. I didn't notice until I got home.

After mentioning it to my salesperson in passing, I then received in the mail an apology from the dealership, and a coupon for a free oil change. The next time I went in (with my other Prius), sure enough, it was only 4 quarts, not the 5 they last billed me for...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Perhaps the dealer rounds up and bills any fraction of a quart as a full quart, in which case they didn't necessarily put in too much.

Next time tell them to put in exactly three quarts. Then the car doesn't get overfilled and you don't get overbilled.[/list]

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Keeping the oil at the FULL mark will indeed increase heat loss through the oil pan, but, because the engine runs as needed to maintain itself within it's desired operating temperature range, this will only make the engine run a little more than it would otherwise and so burn a little more gas. There is no benefit in this.

Per the U.S. owner's manual, the oil capacity at the FULL mark, including filter, is 3.9 U.S quarts (p. 312). At the ADD mark it is 3.9 - 1.6 = 2.3 U.S. quarts (p. 282). Using 3 quarts at an oil change leaves the level almost exactly halfway between ADD and FULL. (In my experience, the small amount of retained oil leaves the level a little above halfway.) If that were not acceptable the design engineers would have put the ADD and FULL marks somewhere else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts