Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I've been on a waiting list for almost six months now, and have gone from#86 to #10. I'm guessing I will get a call in the next month.

Problem is that my dealer seems to only be selling the Prius with leather seats ($1400), Toyota Guard ($699), Pirelli Wheels ($1399), and a whole host of other things (carbon dash thingy??) that effectively boosts the price by $4500. I'm incensed, but what can I do? I still haven't gotten my call, and I've indicated that I don't want these things, so my apprehension might be for nothing. But I just spoke to someone who recently got a Prius from the same dealer and she said she was presented with a "Take it or leave it" choice. Now the waits in my area are up to 12 months, but I really don't want to pay $4500 for things I don't want.

Has anyone else experienced/heard of this kind of nonsense?

Waiting for a Prius in North Carolina

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Yep, this is common. It sounds like you don't already have a written purchase agreement with a specified price and option package? In that case you may indeed have to take it, or leave it and start over.

Go to the Consumer Reports website and view their free guide to buying a new car. Almost everything can be done by phone and fax, and most of the nonsense can be short-circuited if you have more than one dealer available to you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
dealers add on

I have had 4 deposits at different dealer waiting 3 months and no car. I went into a dealer in florida and they said the car would arrive today and the first one in would get the car. So down we went 9am and sure enough the car was there. We paid $2000 over MSRP the total for the car came to $30,000. Too much money but at least I am driving the car. Just shop around and find a dealer maybe you will find one that has one that is ready to sell it fast. I am now driving a salsa with package 9 tinted windows and floor mats. So far we love the car. We are coming out of a 1987 300 sdl diesel mercedes and real big car into the Pruis. It sure is some change.so far so good good luck

·
Registered
119 Posts
If your dealer is trying to add $4500, why don't you get on the lists in some other markets? Your air fare would be far less (provided you can take time off from work). I got on the list with Rosner in Fredricksburg in the middle of May and got the call that my car would be in the end of July. No add on's, MSRP only. Check out the MY CAR IS COMMING on this message board and see if Dennis can help you. I am very pleased.

I would not pay all that money, even if I could afford it, out of principle. As long as these folks have people over a barrel they will continue these bad practices.

I wish you luck.

Jill

·
Registered
128 Posts
Agree with the other posters. Unless you really want all that stuff, which appears to be marked up about 75% also, start looking for another dealer. You can find a Prius in about 4 - 6 weeks in several markets across the country. You just have to spend a lot of time finding rural dealers and making phone calls. I got mine in 4 weeks from a dealer 550 miles away when it became clear my original dealer would not be able to fill my order until 2005 or later. I contacted more than 30 dealers, and I did get the exact car I had specified.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts