Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Bob Gibson said:
When you store the 2005 for a couple of weeks, thebattery dies. How can you restore it's capability?
Once you've killed the 12v battery, it never quite recovers again. Best to replace it before it gets you stranded somewhere.

Either follow Toyota's advice and either: 1. disconnect the 12v battery if not driven for 10+ days (on the 2004+, disconnect the jump point wiring harness), or make sure that someone runs your car 30min out of every 2 weeks.

Or, you can get yourself a smart battery tender/minder (one that'll charge your 12v battery, through either a power outlet or a solar charger, and not overcharge or undercharge your 12v.)

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Yeah but mine died after a few hours. Parked it at school in the morning, it was dead when I came back in the afternoon.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Tideland Prius said:
Yeah but mine died after a few hours. Parked it at school in the morning, it was dead when I came back in the afternoon.
Now that was just bad planning... :( Should die BEFORE school so you can stay home and play with the dog instead. ;) CERTAINLY not die when you're on the way home to play.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
haha. Well, I don't have a dog =(

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Tideland Prius said:
haha. Well, I don't have a dog =(
Wow... you didn't plan at ALL, did you! We can help you. First thing, go out and adopt a dog. :) Then come back for step 2.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Actually, I recommend a cat. After all, if you leave the Prius for two weeks, you might leave the dog for two weeks and it will be devastated. If you leave the cat for two weeks (assuming an appropriate cat-sitter of course) only your house will be devastated.

So adopt a cat and come back for step 2.

(Is the 12v the only thing that doesn't like being stored? )

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Tideland Prius said:
Some people have actually forgotten their car ON overnight, but I doubt that is the issue... Leave a door slightly ajar? turn the headlights on after you opened your driver's door? Leave the front or rear dome light set to the ON position? anything that would drain the 12v in a conventional car (leave an interior light or the headlights on) can also drain the 12v battery. (usually it's that pesky rear dome light... or in my husband's case, an improperly installed brake switch after the recall, where the brake lights would turn themselves on just by the weight of the unused brake pedal...)

·
Registered
344 Posts
the house will be devastated and small shiny objects will disappear....

unless of course you provide about 650 cat toys full of catnip.

and even then you run the risk of them running out of catnip early.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Being a 2005 model, I don't think you ruined the battery by running it down. During the first year of service, a battery is resilient. After 3-4 years, it will probably not come back, and will have reduced capacity. As new as your is, I wouldn't worry once it's charged up again.

As to why it went dead, I would have it checked for shorts and any current draw when parked. There is a drain with SKS on, especially with the fob nearby, and in two weeks that might do it. The manual cautions abotu this possibility. Try turning SKS off.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I'll take a cat =) It's cheaper and less messy.

Nope, I've checked. Headlights were at AUTO and they'll turn off when the driver's door is opened, the dome lights are at DOOR. Note the car will shut itself off after 1hr in ACC mode. I really can't think of any reason why the battery died

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Most cases like this it's been the rear hatch that wasn't completely closed. For whatever reason it doesn't close as surely as the side doors, and the car won't realize you didn't mean to leave it open and automatically shut things off.

If you're sure that's not the case then have the car checked for possible parasitic drain and the battery checked.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ours was dead after we were away for about 10 days. I had turned off the SKS but believe that I left the map light on after retrieving some CDs for the trip. I noticed the light was on after I jump started CarMyne. We had gone on similar trips before with no problems. Seems to be ok now but I'm a bit concerned that it's useful life may have been affected.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oops! Is This A Recurring Problem?

Battery fussiness is perhaps the only reason I'm on the fence about a Prius -- well, that and the fact that I'd prefer a Prius wagon with a roof rack so I could haul my kayaks -- although I wholeheartedly want to support anything that makes a difference for the planet. I live in Maine. I've often left my current conventional car in an outdoor parking lot and gone away for weeks at a time -- and had it start right up on my return, even after brushing all the snow off (I'm keen on regular maintenance and buying good batteries!). Does this thread suggest that I can't do that with a Prius -- or even leave it in my garage at home while I go away on an extended trip? In other words, does a Prius need to be driven nearly every day? (I'm also trying to simply reduce the amount I drive.)

·
Registered
669 Posts
I just left mine for 10 days, and it started up with no problem, appears perfectly happy!

My S.O. has a trickle charger for his little fun car. It has an alarm system that drains the battery when left undriven. If we go away for more than a week or two, we'll put that on the Prius.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Re: Oops! Is This A Recurring Problem?

dharma_turtle said:
Battery fussiness is perhaps the only reason I'm on the fence about a Prius -- well, that and the fact that I'd prefer a Prius wagon with a roof rack so I could haul my kayaks -- although I wholeheartedly want to support anything that makes a difference for the planet. I live in Maine. I've often left my current conventional car in an outdoor parking lot and gone away for weeks at a time -- and had it start right up on my return, even after brushing all the snow off (I'm keen on regular maintenance and buying good batteries!). Does this thread suggest that I can't do that with a Prius -- or even leave it in my garage at home while I go away on an extended trip? In other words, does a Prius need to be driven nearly every day? (I'm also trying to simply reduce the amount I drive.)
If shut down properly, hatches closed, lights off and SKS disabled your car should be fine sitting for 2-4 weeks at a time unused. SKS on 2 weeks may be the upper limit and some have reported issues as early as 10 days.

You can get a kayak rack for a Prius that works well...just don't expect to get 60mpg with them mounted!

I've had my Prius since Oct. '03, not once has the battery died and I've left it idle for as long as 12 days at a time.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
My question would be "in your stated circumstances why would you even be considering a Prius?"
You could wrestle a boat to the roof. (there goes any milage savings) If it were in the shape of a wagon instead of the aerodynamically wind tunnel design of the sedan (there goes any milage savings)
So you are now down to "greenhouse" and The need of a Highlander hybrid, (forty grand)
Your in the market for a new GM ecotec engined HHR wagon due in mid August. Low pollution and Highlander milage type vehicle less than $20,000 in price.

·
Registered
610 Posts
:idea: We were away for two weeks, Prius parked and locked. No problems with either 12v or Traction batteries. "Ernestine" (our Prius named for Lili Tomlin's telephone operator character who, like the Prius, gives strange answers to verbal requests) started up promptly, no problems of any kind. Ernestine was first put into service over a year ago. I'm careful to confirm that the vanity mirror lights, ceiling lights and hatch light are all off when buttoning her up - gotta watch that hatch and be sure it's properly closed. One nice feature, you can't lock your Prius if the hatch or a door is ajar..

·
Registered
457 Posts
Dead Battery From Non Use

I ran the 12V battery down twice in my 04 the first month I had it. I wasn't closing the hatchback tightly. I now know look thru the rear window to make sure the red door-ajar light is out. It charged up easily and has been idle for up to a week since with no apparent problems. I've used a 1 amp trickle charger with auto shut-off on various cars that seems to work well for long term non-use. Unless you really deep discharge a lead/acid battery it shouldn't hurt to run it down occasionally.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks

It seems at least two weeks is possible for idle time.

To hyperion and efusco: I'm not expecting a Prius to be a hauler. Just carry the kayaks once or twice a year. I'll check out the new GM car, but having had bad experiences with GM, I'm not anxious to buy another of their products, especially not a 1.0 version.

Thanks again, folks.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts