Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2004 package 9. I plan to move to Canada. Canada requires daytime running lights which I do not have. Dealer tells me if they are not factory installed, they cannot instal them. That being the case I cannot import my car to Canada.
Anyone any ideas how i can get drt's installed. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
That's very odd. My friend was able to install DRLs on his US-spec Geo Prizm. It shouldn't be hard but I don't know where you might be able to do so. I'm surprised that the dealers weren't willing to try. Maybe the Canadian ones will have the DRL diagram? Your other option is to leave the lights on all the time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Daytime Running Lights

When you import a car to Canada you have to have it checked out to ensure it meets all Cdn regulations. If it doesn't comply you can't import it until it does. One of the requirements is daytime running lights.
I go there frequently and run with headlights on ( also tail lights). If you have drl's then the tail lights are not lit.
I guess the Canadians insist on drl's because they think we might forget to turn on headlights.
Your idea of checking for installation with a Canadian dealer is a good one. I'll try it.
Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Package 9 has HIDs. Very hard to DRL. See if Canada would let you use the fogs for DRL. It would be very easy to make the fogs come on unconditionally.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Daytime Running Lights

Thanks DanMan - Using fogs would be a great solution as far as I am concerned. Will check it out. When I find out I'll come back with the result.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm really going to have to think hard on this one. Because my car was built in Japan it doesn't come under the trade treaty so I'll have to pay duty on it as well as 14% sales tax to export it to Canada. It only has about 6,500 miles on it so I'm not sure what I could sell it for in Washington.

Apparently a Prius is much easier to get in Canada; they are quoting about $33,000 Cdn (about $27,250 US) plus 14% tax. If I wait about 3 months I might get a 2006 model with all the bells & whistles. It's beginning to sound like trading up might work.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here's an option for you - http://www.webelectricproducts.com sells a small module which let you use your front turn signals as DRLs, similar to what Chevy does on a lot of their models. I've used the module on two cars including my Prius. The module is about the size of a 35mm film can and can fit into the back of the relay panel at the back of the engine compartment.

It's very easy to install, requiring connections for switched power, ground, parking lights and two connections for each turn signal. It took me about an hour to install with 20 minutes of that being spent locating a switched power connection that I could tap into.

If you're interested, I'll write up Prius specific installation instructions.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
$34k for the Premium Package. $37k for the Navigation Package (equiv. of a BC minus HIDs).
There's a $2000 PST rebate for the Prius up here in BC.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sprocket said:
CinciPrius,

Can you write up the process/diagram for the running lights for us?
I'll work on it with the goal of having the instructions available early next week. The module comes with excellent instructions (plus a candy for when you're done 8) ). I'll focus on the specific Prius connections that I used.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Daytime RUNNING lighs

I just checked with a BC dealer and they say they can install DRL's for about $130. Still can't understand why my local dealer doesn't know how to do it. Anyway, I guess my problem is solved so I am signing off.
Thanks to everyone for their interest in the subject and for their helpful suggestions.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Daytime Running Lights

I seem to recall a year or two ago that someone wrote that the Daytime Running Light (DRL) option was just a jumper, and that that person's dealer installed the jumper for free. But, I can't seem to find that message string. Does anyone else recall that post?

·
Registered
38 Posts
The factory DRL on my old Corolla was basically an automatic headlight (ie, headlights *and* marker lights *and* taillights all turned on (just like when you turn the headlight switch on- headlights at full brightness) when you started your car and turned off when you stopped).. Because of this, I got into the habit of never actually using the headlight switch- I'd just get in and drive because there was no difference between the DRL and turning the headlight on (the only difference was that the high-beam wouldn't work until the headlight switch was turned to on, but you never use the high beams in the city, and the flash (pull back on the stalk) still worked if you needed it for any reason).

When I got the Prius, my assumption was that it functioned the same way, so the first time I drove the car at night, I just got in and drove off.. It wasn't until another driver flagged me down at an intersection and told me I had no taillights that I realized that the Prius DRL functioned differently- half-brightness headlights and no taillights... Grr.. Now I have to break the habit of years and years of driving the Corolla without ever having to use the headlight switch- why the heck did they change it?? "Auto headlights" is a much simpler circuit, and in terms of brightness, there's no real visible difference during the day- when the sun is out, full/half look much the same; for halogen light bulbs, maximum life is achieved when the bulb is running at rated temperature and the halogen cycle is at work, so you're actually decreasing bulb life by running at half power, and lastly, I would think that having the taillights on would help increase visibility of the car, and wasn't that the entire point of the DRL in the first place???

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
C4, I assume you are in Canada. In Canada, the Prius has full auto mode, where the headlights and dash will turn on in night mode based on outside ambient brightness. When in day mode, then you have no taillights. I am not sure how you could drive at night without taillights, unless you have the headlight system in the off position, in which case you have only DRL. Ah, wait, now I get it. You never touched the headlamp setting from when you bought the car. Put it to Auto.

In USA or Canada, the Prius also has Auto Off, where if you power down and open the driver door, the headlights, taillights, foglights turn off.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sprocket said:
CinciPrius,

Can you write up the process/diagram for the running lights for us?
Here's the write up on installing the turn signal DRL module into my 2005 Prius.

·
Registered
11 Posts
DRL's on US Prius

I am in the same situation as the original post.

I've will have been here over 5 years when I return to Canada so selling my Prius and buying another one would cost me a lot more than importing it if possible.

Actually exporting a titled vehicle is trickier than getting it through Canadian Customs. You have to go to US customs with 72 hours notice and the proper documentation first and then head to Canadian Customs. I heard that at Canadian Customs they will just ask for the clearance letter (recalls etc) and documentation and then its up to you to bring it to a Canadian Tire (has contract with Transport Canada) to get it inspected. Once you pass the inspection a sticker will be mailed to you that you put in the door saying it is a properly imported vehicle and passed inspection. Then you can register it.

I've read of some shops installing adequate DRL's for Transport Canada.

Next week I plan on doing what the US Toyota help line suggested and that is speak directly to a Canadian Dealership.

When you speak to a US Dealer you might end up with a bunch of chewing tobacco spittle on your shoes and no satisfaction. I was told that the Prius' in the SE were specially made for the SE US. After standing there and listening to that moron drone on how he was trying to remove the DRL's from his pickup ... I started to wonder if I really want to get my Toyota serviced at the place.

Anyway I will post about my investigation of the ability of Canadian Toyota Dealers.

Worst Case, I drive it up there and get a 3rd party package put on it before I take it to Canadian Tire.

·
Registered
71 Posts
DRL installation- park lights

If using the signal light to become a DRL- does this disable the light so it will no longer act as a flashing signal to indicate you are turning? Having no turn signal light ( from the front view) will probably fail you in the yearly safety inspection.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re: DRL installation- park lights

David Duchesne said:
If using the signal light to become a DRL- does this disable the light so it will no longer act as a flashing signal to indicate you are turning? Having no turn signal light ( from the front view) will probably fail you in the yearly safety inspection.
David - the front turn signals are still usable. The DRL function is automatically disabled whenever you turn on the turn signals. The DRL function is re-enabled about 3 seconds after you turn off the turn signal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Found a Dealer on the way to Where I'm Moving To

Hey,

I Emailed a dealer close to the community I'm moving to in Alberta about installing DRL's on Prius ... no response.

A few days later I emailed a couple of dealer's in the biggest city on the way there.

One replied saying it was no problem and he could put stock parts in $200.00 with labor.

Look by the light adjustment wheel on the left side of the stearing wheel ... there's is a pop out on the dash ... I bet that is where they go.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts