Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, how do I get it to switch between day and night? It switched on me the other day, when it shouldn't have (car was set to the wrong time zone), so I hit the button that said night, and put it in day mode, but now it is in day mode all the time. I found under settings that you can change the setting for the day screen and the night screen, but not whether it switches automatically or not.

Spike

·
Registered
215 Posts
The dimmer switch off to the left under the vent. If you raise that all the way until the click it will be in day mode... NO MATTER WHAT. Bring it down, just UNDER the click and it is night mode. I always leave the lights on when I drive, so when it gets dark enough I just bring it under the click, and in the mornings I move it up to the click.

If there's an easier way I don't know it, but this is pretty easy ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wait, is that what the time zone setting is for? I had no idea since there doesn't seem to be a clock in any of the MFD screens. Usually to get it to go into Night Mode, I just turn on the headlights either all the way or just the first click.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
There's a time zone setting? Never even noticed it.

For me, it only seems to enter 'night mode' when I have the lights on, and the dimmer at anything short of its highest setting. Day mode is all other times. (Also, if I press the 'DISPLAY' button, and tap 'Day mode', which is only available while the lights are on, and the dimmer not on max.)

·
Registered
381 Posts
I hope time zone isn't used for that, seems silly. :p Regardless of the current time and zone, brightness should be based on current lighting - not what time/where you are. ;-)

·
Registered
425 Posts
I think you will find its only used to help improve accuracy from the GPS system, which works on UTC.

The day/night featuer is in the navi and linked to the main lights. Turn them on and the navi dims, assuming you are not in day mode. Check the settings, but when you have the lights on there is a small touch button upper righthand side called day mode or similar. I dont have the book to hand to be more precise.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Weird, my other GPS switches automatically at sunrise and sunset. It nows where you are, so it knows what time sunrise and sunset will be. Very easy and simple. Having it tied to the headlights is weird, as I like to drive with my headlights on all the time for visability. Having it switch to night mode, makes it harder to read the screen.

Spike

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Spike said:
Weird, my other GPS switches automatically at sunrise and sunset. It nows where you are, so it knows what time sunrise and sunset will be. Very easy and simple. Having it tied to the headlights is weird, as I like to drive with my headlights on all the time for visability. Having it switch to night mode, makes it harder to read the screen.

Spike
Then your two options:

1. Press the 'DISPLAY' button, and select 'Day Mode' from the top line (this will turn it to 'day colors', but will not increase the brightness.)

2. Use the dimmer (on the left side of the steering wheel on the dash,) and turn it all the way up. This will make all of the lit things on 'headlights off' brightness, and will at the same time put the MFD into 'day mode colors'.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts