Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does the Prius not have daytime running lights? I checked my manual and could find nothing. Is it for energy purposes. I assumed all new cars came equipped with this feature.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
DRL not standard in the U.S.

Nope.

It's required in Canada, but I've seen very FEW vehicles with it in the U.S. (Saturn is one of the few manufacturers that seems to have it standard.)

The Prius in the U.S. doesn't have it probably because the high-intensity discharge headlights CAN'T be made into DRLs, so they figured they'd just not include DRLs at all, so you don't have the 'higher-end' feature missing something. (Also the reason HID's aren't available in Canada.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
DRL's

I agree with the sentiments of Cyclesome and the facts of ehurtley---I'm fairly sure that I'm accurate in passing along some stuff I learned reading these boards after I got my '05:

The USA requires that Daylight Running Lights shine at 70% the intensity of headlights.

The High Intensity Discharge headlights apparently can only operate at 100% intensity or zero.

So. That results in no DRL's on my pkg. #4 Driftwood Pearl---and me leaving my HID's---and the amber nighttime lights concommittently---ON in the daytime for safety--for instance on a crowded road with a lot of left-turners, or if the sky is gray.

I daydream about putting DRL's on the front of the side-view mirrors.

(Yeah, I know, maybe illegally too high off the ground---but, OTOH: are they higher off the ground than an SUV's headlights?)

But then I'm not very handy, even if I had the nerve to do that.

The DRL's do reduce your chance of a daytime accident by 15% according to Canadian and Scandinavian studies---a reliable source told me he'd heard of other stats saying 25%. I wonder if there's any safety advantage in painting the front of my side-view mirrors white and yellow?

·
Registered
9 Posts
So, the question is could Coastal or any vendor could engineer an adapter to add the this feature, shouldnt be that hard. :) Any thoughts....

·
Registered
80 Posts
This topic has been discussed many times here. I suggest the easy - and obvious - solution: Leave the lights on all the time! They do turn off when you turn off the car and open the driver side door. No modifications, no hassle, no forgetting to turn on the lights when necessary (a HUGE drawback of DRL in my opinion).

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
mgaelli said:
This topic has been discussed many times here. I suggest the easy - and obvious - solution: Leave the lights on all the time! They do turn off when you turn off the car and open the driver side door. No modifications, no hassle, no forgetting to turn on the lights when necessary (a HUGE drawback of DRL in my opinion).
Unless you wife is in the habit of turning her lights off and does the same on your car. Then your half a mile down the road at night before you realize they are off, because you never turn them off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Anyone remember back in the 1970's or so when a lot of people put a light inside their grill? There were aftermarket kits that included the light and instructions how to wire it so it came on when the ignition was on. It was a really simple affair and was supposed to draw attention to you and supposedly to save accidents. I don't recall how visible they were in the day. They went out of favor at some point.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Normich said:
Anyone remember back in the 1970's or so when a lot of people put a light inside their grill? ...They went out of favor at some point.
Probably when the folks with the lights decided to play "unmarked policeman" and do something nasty pullin someone over. eeew.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hep said:
mgaelli said:
Unless you wife is in the habit of turning her lights off and does the same on your car. Then your half a mile down the road at night before you realize they are off, because you never turn them off.
Well. if your wife drives a Subaru and has been bragging for years how she never has to turn off the lights, then it's really a relief! :D
I still think it's easier to remember/notice that your lights are off at night than to remember to turn them on when you have DRLs that give you some illumination, but no back lights (which I think is by far the biggest problem with DRLs and acutally quite dangerous).

Or yuo could
- try and train your wife :shock:
- find another one that already is trained :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Ah, but the Prius DRL system in Canada includes full Auto, so it can turn on the headlights/taillights when it gets dark.

As for having Full-Auto/DRL with HID, they could have used the fog lights. The fogs aren't good for anything else anyway.

·
Registered
80 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Ah, but the Prius DRL system in Canada includes full Auto, so it can turn on the headlights/taillights when it gets dark.
So why bother? Leave the lights on. It's much simpler and just as good.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I suppose with HID, you are right, I am using less energy with those on than with fogs. But it is possible to accidentally leave them on, as a few have attested to.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Cyclesome said:
Why does the Prius not have daytime running lights? I checked my manual and could find nothing. Is it for energy purposes. I assumed all new cars came equipped with this feature.
Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) were an option on US 2002-2003 Prius.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Cause DRLs consume less energy than a full headlight unless of course you're running on HIDs, then just leave them on as suggested. However, the nice thing about the auto headlights is that even if your headlights are on during the day, the panel lights remain in daytime mode. When you enter a darker area (e.g tunnel/car park), it'll automatically dim the panel lights

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Hmm, that gives me an idea. Auto dash dimming control that if a sensor picked up daylight, it would automatically put the dash into day mode override, even if the headlights were on.

But then, might as well just control the headlights themselves.

I still believe the body ECU has the programming, but is lying dormant in US models, much as the alarm programming lies dormant.

·
Registered
8 Posts
even though I turn my (USA) H.I.D. headlights on in any "slightly traffic-ky" situations, I still don't like the thought of the other bulbs being on and consuming energy and reducing their lifespans---

So DanMan32, your suggestion to use the fog lights is good. Of course the wiring would need modification---as it is, the fogs only can be turned on when the headlights are on---but you knew that already, sorry.

Self-promoting (from here on out) my idea about locating DRL's on the front of the side-view mirrors:
Surely this has been proposed but prohibited for some reason already?---

because, in my humble opinion:

the HIGHER off the ground, and WIDER APART from each other your DRL bulbs can possibly be---the CLOSER your car appears to be!---as perceived by the subjective and fallible eyes of oncoming drivers---

---and you therefore more better safer!

are you with me?

Also: The WIDER APART deal comes into play when that little left-front corner of your car is the only part visible to an oncoming driver: like when you're behind a left-turner?

and, if you're in a 90's Saturn the
DRL's are kind of close together in the middle of the grille there. So, they wouldn't improve your chances in the ¶-above situation, WHEREAS! a Daylight Running Light
on the front of a sideview mirror
would do the trick.

A car with airbags---but w/o DRL's---is like a black bicycle helmet:

---it's sort of "missing a trick" right?---

since a) being seen and therefore not even being hit

is how much cooler? than

b) being hit but surviving the collision?????????? here's my guess: way cooler.

(re: energy consumption: sure wish the running lights etc were LED's, also longevity)

(good points, btw, about the dash light dimming also, DM32)

(human24, I guess 'cause a driver's fate is in his or her own hands if that driver is looking at the side of a car ahead (as opposed to the front when they're at the mercy of others!), or, at night, that driver is counted on not to be out-speeding the reach of his or her headlights. and there ARE brake lights on the back, hopefully!)

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Lamp location that misrepresents the vehicle size is prohibited. For example, putting them close together, rather than at the outside edges of the fenders, misleads an oncoming driver as to the size and/or location of the vehicle. The Cali vehicle code prohibits this, and I expect the Feds do, too. Also, having them up that high would add a glare problem for oncoming drivers even up close. I can see why this is banned.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
What if you are traveling at the speed of light and turn on your headlights?

I think that was a Steven Wright thingy. Always thought it was interesting, though.

:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts