Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've had my Prius for a couple of months now. All is well except that an infernal rattling noise is coming from the dashboard area and driving me nuts!

Anybody got any good ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Without being there, it is hard to tell.
I will let you know though, that the source of rattles could be in a totally different location than where they seem to be coming from. Case in point: I had several CD jewel cases in the center console that would rub together and make squeaking sounds. The sounds appeared to come from the dash.
Another possible source of rattles are the fold down rear seats. If they aren't fully latched in the upright position, they can make some noises, and may even appear to come from the dash.
Other sources of rattles are items stored in the car.
For a test, take EVERYTHING out of all compartments, bins and trays in the car, and take the items out of the car. If the rattle disappears, it was one of your carry-on items.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Dan is right about stripping the car but you do this just before taking it in to Toyota. There have been an awfull lot of threads about the dash rattle. If it doesn't rattle when you first bring it home it probably will if you ever have any service done requiring the removal of it.
You cross your fingers it seems and hope your lucky.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Is it the tray in the upper glove box? Do you have a speaker on top of the MFD? They tend to rattle. A little more info about about the options you have would be helpful.

·
Registered
610 Posts
:? I had an irritating rattle from the center speaker and another from the "flip out" center cup holder.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
I recently found at:
http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Toyota/11585 ... index.html

US TSB NV009-06
Sept. 18, 2006. 2003-2007 Toyotas and 2004-2007 Scions. UPPER/LOWER WINDSHIELD TICK NOISE.
Introduction: If a creak, tick, or rattle noise is heard at the top OR bottom of the windshield, the source of the noise may be the two windshield stoppers bonded to the top of the windshield or the windshield retainers bonded to the lower edge of the windshield.

The TSB has the repair procedure, depending on which vehicle is affected. The Prius is among many listed in it (2 pins at top of windshield).

Warranty is 3 years/36,000 miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gone

Well, I'm afraid my troubleshooting procedures are not so good. Had I been in a more scientific mood, (and had the time) I would have carefully tried each very helpful suggestion in isolation and noted the results.

Instead, I took everything out, checked the cupholders and glovebox trays, examined the windshield wiper things and generally tried to batten down the hatches.

Something worked, because the noise is gone!!!!

Thanks for the help and I fully authorize each of you to claim that it was your recommendation that solved the problem.

:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.