Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a nagging rattle on my dash. It's coming from the area right where the A pillar meets the dash in the front left corner. At low speed, it tick-tick-ticks. I don't know if it's the plastic cover over the pillar or the dash itself. If I press on either the pillar or the dash in that location it goes away for a little while.

Before I start tearing into the dash, I was wondering if anyone else had/has this rattle and if they have any tricks to fix it (short of tearing apart the dash).

I searched around the site and didn't see anything regarding this...

Thanks,

DGStan

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The rear-view mirror tends to rattle at the seams. Not to say that the rattle isn't coming from where you say, but many times rattles appear to come from places other than their source.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
DanMan32 said:
The rear-view mirror tends to rattle at the seams. Not to say that the rattle isn't coming from where you say, but many times rattles appear to come from places other than their source.
Ditto that. Make sure first that the rattle isn't some loose object in any of the compartments, or a loose shelf.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I have identifies several soures of rattles and squeaks. As Dan says, the flat dash and flat winshield both reflect sounds and will often lead you to the wrong area. Sources I've noticed:
1) small panel at A-pillar and small window (the one you cite). Pushing down seems to eliminate it. As soon as I learn how to remove it without damage, I may apply some open cell foam tape underneath to take up the slack that seems to be the sourc eof the problem.
2) Inside rearview mirror. I'm not sure how to fix this one. It goes away when the housing is squeezed, but I don't know how to eliminate it. I really don't want to disassemble this.
3) partially rolled down rear window. It seems the track has too much play in it. Pinching the track may solve this, but I haven't tried it yet.
4) Handle in roof (at top of front window). This is more of a plastic rubbing noise (sort of muffled squeak) and I think lubrication with silicone spray is the only solution, or perhaps some talcum powder.
5) Large dark dash panel between you and the speedo, near the speedo. Pressing down eliminates it. Comes up on rough roads due to vibration. SOme have wedged foam, even a comb in the area to eliminate it. SOme say this started after dash was removed for service.

The others are "phantom rattles" that aren't defects at all:
6) sunglasses rattling in compartment in center of roof.
7) coffee mug rattling in rear cupholder
8) CD rattling in door pocket
9) loose glove compartment tray

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
richard schumacher said:
DanMan32 said:
Ditto that. Make sure first that the rattle isn't some loose object in any of the compartments, or a loose shelf.
No, I'm certain I know where it's coming from. Like I said, if I press on that area, the noise goes away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had that rattle since the day I got the car in early September. I just try to ignore it, thinking that if I try to fix it I'll just make the rattle worse.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I've had a rattle near that A pillar/driver side forward dash area for a few weeks now...ever since having my MFD replaced.

I could get the rattle to go away by pressing hard on the main vent on the left side or by pressing on the forward area of the dash.

So, today, I went out to see if I could stop it, armed with my trusty roll of weather stripping.

Here's what I did and found. First, I took off the silver vent piece thinking that would be the easiest way to get under the black part of the dash without major disassembly. Once that was off I poked on the black part of the dash trying to find where the rattle most likely came from.

I found that I couldn't really reproduce it that way. It was a little loose here and there, but not bad and it seemed adequately padded. But when I tapped near the little triangle window I noticed that the little plastic piece with the vent holes for that tiny little window DID rattle.

I popped it out (very easy, just get under the edge facing the driver and lift up). I strategicly placed a couple of pieces of weather stripping and put it back...tapped...no rattle.

I went a head and put a piece of weather stripping under the edge of the black part of the dash right where the silver vent cover goes b/c it was a little loose.

I also put a piece of weather stripping on the vent cover near each set of tabs (3 total) before putting it back on.

Finally, I took out the center speaker, put a little triangle of weather stripping on each corner of that, unplugged it (some have suggested this improves the stereo seperation, worth a try). I put it back in. Although I haven't had a big problem with it rattling it does on occasion so while in Rome....

I haven't taken her out for a drive yet, but I'm pretty confident that'll do the trick.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rattling

We experienced the same problem.

The dealer added insulation under a few of the front panels on the driver and passenger side.

And indeed solved the problem.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I isolated the cause of my rattle. It is the plastic cover that goes over the A-pillar. It's not the dashboard.

Hopefully, I'll have some time this weekend to resolve the problem. At least, I should be able to wedge a shim in there to stop the noise.

Thanks for everyone who replied.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dgstan said:
I isolated the cause of my rattle. It is the plastic cover that goes over the A-pillar. It's not the dashboard.

Hopefully, I'll have some time this weekend to resolve the problem. At least, I should be able to wedge a shim in there to stop the noise.

Thanks for everyone who replied.
Just an update:

Yes, it was the plastic cover of the driver-side A pillar. I wedged a small wooden shim (wrapped in black tape) between the windshield and the plastic. The rattle is gone and while the temporary fix isn't very elegant, it is barely visible.

I tried to remove the plastic cover to perform a more complete fix, but as I pulled it off, I could see a bunch of "air-bag looking" stuff under it and thought I'd better leave it alone.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've had those little vent panels under the triangular
canard-windows out many times, and in fact each one has a little
notch in the inboard edge now for my wiring to pass down through.
I've also had the dash-top panel completely out.
Haven't had any rattles since buttoning it all back up, at
least until a big bump comes along in which case
everything gets a good shake [including the meter
cluster, and that's just the way that whole thing
is designed].
_H*

·
Registered
269 Posts
DanMan32 said:
My mirror's electrical connector on the backside rattles. Next time you hear your rattle, reach up behind the mirror and find that connector and see if it stops when you hold it.

I have multiple rattles on certain roads however and I have run out of hands. Wife gets nervous when I drive with my knee. She is trying to help but, playing "rattle twister" in the car is getting a little dangerous! :shock:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts