Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dash top removal in '05? Rattle issue....

Has anyone else ex[erience craking nosies from the dashboard top on an 04/05 Prius?

Might anyone be able to enlighten me on how to remove the dash top cover on an '05 Prius (the large, flimsy plastic piece which contains the window for the speed readout & such)?

The continuous creaking and other noises from this part make the car sound like a pice of junk and are driving me crazy. If I can remove it it, maybe I can find a way to stiffen it and/or provide some damping materials in strategic places. My dealer is of course of no help......

Thanks!

Steve

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Search the archives, and you will find posts about likely sources of the noise; there were some with photos to guide you. It often seems to be the speedo window, not the dash top itself.

Also keep in mind with the glass and the smooth dash top, the sound will often project and seem to originate quite some distance from the actual source.

My pet peeve is the rattling rear side windows when cranked down an inch or two...

·
Registered
112 Posts
It's actually not all that difficult.
The most interesting subtleties are that the A-pillar
trim has to be removed, and the plastic covers over the two
screws at the back of the upper glove box are hard to
get out of there. The two bolts holding the passenger airbag
to the steel support pipe must also be taken out. Other than
that it's fairly straightforward -- go slowly, pull carefully
on things and try to determine exactly what points are
still holding things down. Eventually you'll get down to the point at which
the entire large car-wide black plastic piece slides
out toward you, and there you are holding the bag, so to speak.
Having the service manual helps quite a bit too, but I did
mine before I had access to that part of it. Page 71-10
in the '04 manual, or PDF page 4 of
ileaf/04toyrm/04toypdf/04rmsour/2004/04priusf/32/2128j/x040001.pdf.
_H*

·
Registered
112 Posts
Nominally incorrect: I've had mine completely apart
and back together and it doesn't rattle.
Or did you mean that if *Toyota* disassembles it, it will
rattle therafter, whereas if the owner disassembles it himself
then everything will be fine??
_H*

·
Registered
610 Posts
:roll: The risk of "rattles and squeaks" convinced me to *NOT* have the "Innacurate Fuel Gauge" TSB done (for which my VIN was included). I have learned to live with the "GUESS gauge" perculiarities. Really didn't want a Dealer doing such extensive disassembly/reassembly. The "techs" did fail to reconnect my panel light dimmer switch when updating the ECU - which disabled all my panel lights. Such a simple thing, such extensive effects.

I am a devotee of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.!!"

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Nominally incorrect: I've had mine completely apart
and back together and it doesn't rattle.
Or did you mean that if *Toyota* disassembles it, it will
rattle therafter, whereas if the owner disassembles it himself
then everything will be fine??
_H*

Negative to both Hobbit. Just that I had read numerous comments on this site since March of 04.
Enough so that I would never like mine removed.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
If you have rattles, you should seriously check all glove boxes, cup holders, and storage nooks/crannies for loose things.

Mine rattles sometimes, then I realize it's the bottle of soda in the cup holder, or the old manual garage-door opener in that cubby under the radio.

One time, it was some junk in the upper glove box.

When I keep a clean house inside my car, my Prius doesn't make any noises.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
But Bif, what if you were rattle free since the car purchase and then rattle prone since the dash was removed. And how come you don't use that sunglass compartment up by the rear view mirror for your old type garage door opener?
(the rattles I was referring too, were those from folks who had Toyota service the speedometer mirrors ect: and then developed "unfindable rattles.)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
ChasSuitt said:
The "techs" did fail to reconnect my panel light dimmer switch when updating the ECU - which disabled all my panel lights. Such a simple thing, such extensive effects.
I am a devotee of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.!!"
Again, if they were updating (rather than replacing) an ECU, what business did they have taking the dash apart? The ECUs get updated through the DLCIII.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mine had a terrib;e rattle. Toyota dealer took it all apart and the rattle has now gone! They even replaced some of the panels with a showroom model and ordered the new parts for that so we could have it back that day!

They did an OK job

S

1 - 11 of 11 Posts