Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Daniel! Brian! My gurus. I recently read, either on this site or on Priuschat.com about folks who have bought, at their dealers, touch up PAINT PENS with a fine pen (making a dot of paint) on one side of the pen and clear coat on the other side. WHERE DOES ANYONE GET THIS WONDERFUL TOUCH UP "PAINT PEN????"

I bought the regular touch up paint applicator at my Toyota dealer-- the kind with the brush that is not easy to apply nor accurate. The paint pen applies a tiny dot, if you want and is great for those tiny dings or rock "hits."

I would be ever so grateful if someone would tell us where we can purchase these "touch-up paint pens." Merci beaucoup!!!!

Karen Ann

·
Registered
319 Posts
Karen it almost sounds too good to be true!!! I am truly sorry that I don't know nor have ever heard of one before. I would certainly get one if my dealer has one. I will be driving by one tomorrow, on my commute, and will stop in and see if they have them.
-Brian

·
Registered
9 Posts
The "paint pens" that I believe you are referring to are made by Duplicolor. These pens are available through auto supply stores. You can check the Duplicolor website to see if your color is available. If you've got the Millenium Silver, you're out of luck.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EcoOne said:
The "paint pens" that I believe you are referring to are made by Duplicolor. These pens are available through auto supply stores. You can check the Duplicolor website to see if your color is available. If you've got the Millenium Silver, you're out of luck.
I DO have the Silver........ But I called Dan Hecht Toyota in Effinham, IL today and spoke to Bob Hecht. He said that he had heard of them. I thought I had read that folks had received these "paint pens" when they bought their cars. Also, folks indicated that it is a "Toyota" item. True? Not true? A California thing? An East coast thing?

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'm afraid you're out of my realm now. I'd probably take my car to a body shop if it needed paint, even just for a scratch. But if this is a Toyota item, your dealership should have it or be able to order it. Otherwise, I agree with the idea of going to your local auto parts store, and if they don't have it, it probably does not exist or isn't really any good. ...

I just did a search for "paint pen" on J.C. Whitney, and all that came up was, "DURA•GLO™ PAINT PEN; Recolor scuffed or worn tire lettering quickly and easily." Boy, if they don't have it I'd be surprised if it existed.

Who in the world would want to re-color their tire lettering anyway?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brian, I think I have solved the mystery of the Toyota "paint pens with clear coat tips." They are a "Toyota Canadien thing."

I went onto priuschat.com and found the original reference to these pens. Below are the comments made by Dave G of Vancouver Canada and Frank Hudon, also of Canada.

DAVEG VANCOUVER BC WRITES:"The Toyota paint that I got does - it's a 2-sided pen with the paint on one side, and clearcoat on the other. It also came with a fold-out instruction pamphlet.
Maybe they're getting a different kind in your area. (i.e. the USA)"

FRANK HUDON (ALSO FROM CANADA) WRITES:
"Thanks for reminding me to go out and apply a bit more in a scratch on the rear quarter and a bit of clear coat on the chip on the hood. Also have the pen with colour and clear coat."

FRANK HUDON THEN WRITES:
"There is no part number per say on the pen type. It has the paint code on it, in my case Silver Sand Met. Paint code: 1C5 230201
It says on it "Toyota Touch Up Paint" but no part number that would give it an identity at the dealer. I'll google it and see if anything comes up."

DAVE G OF CANADA THEN WRITES to someone on Priuschat.com:
"If you're interested, I could order one for you from the dealer here and send it your way. If you're interested, just PM me. I've gotta head out to the dealer in a couple weeks for an oil change anyway, so I could pick it up then. Was $12.54 cdn including tax. " Dave.

Richard Shumacher (of USA) writes re: color numbers and possible diff. colors used for Canadien and USA cars:
"Curious. My bottle (NOT pen) says code 1C0 (FOR SILVER). I saw the Toyota reference booklet at the dealer to confirm that this was the code for Prius '04 Millennium Silver. Do Canada and the US get different paint?" [Karen Ann says: I believe the colors for each country vary.]

:D I am hoping that my dealer in Effingham, IL can order these pens from Toyota of Canada. I will call him on his 800# and ask him and report info to you all. However, even though the price is $12.54 cdl, the colors may NOT be exactly the same-- and that could be a real problem and make our little "boo-boos" stand out more noticeably...... Oh well, the pens are a great idea.... and so precise in their application....

·
Registered
623 Posts
Ooops. I figured if J.C. Whitney didn't have it it didn't exist. I thought they sold everything related to cars. Sorry.

·
Registered
150 Posts
karenann said:
Brian, I think I have solved the mystery of the Toyota "paint pens with clear coat tips." They are a "Toyota Canadien thing."
Ah! Thanks!

And the Toyota Canada site does list it. I haven't called to make sure that the Prius colors are available, though.

Louie

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LouieNet said:
karenann said:
Ah! Thanks!

And the Toyota Canada site does list it. I haven't called to make sure that the Prius colors are available, though.

Louie
Louie, You are great! I loved the picture! I knew that I was not losing my mind when I read about the "paint pen with the clear coat on one end!" It is so cool! There is only one eensy beensy problem: they may have slightly different colors in Canada than we have in the US-- not just in name -- but in actual color. But I figure it is worth ordering one to find out. Thanks for the information!!!!! :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, Louie, I went to the Toyota Canada site. Now what do we "click" on to find the paint pen? I clicked all over-- clicked on merchandise-- but I never got to anything simple like: Touch up paint...... What's the trick to access the "paint pen" picture and prices?????

·
Registered
319 Posts
That is pretty cool. I want one when someone finds out more info.

·
Registered
150 Posts
karenann said:
OK, Louie, I went to the Toyota Canada site. Now what do we "click" on to find the paint pen? I clicked all over-- clicked on merchandise-- but I never got to anything simple like: Touch up paint...... What's the trick to access the "paint pen" picture and prices?????
Hi Karen Ann,

After you've entered the site (after the splash page), mouse over to the red SERVICE text, and then click on "Parts" in the menu that shows up just to the left. Then in the next page, select "TOUCH-UP PAINT PEN" in the dropdown box.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any prices listed.

By the way, here is the rest of the text from that webpage:

WHY DO YOU NEED IT?

• To fill in damaged paint areas
• Stones and road debris can chip paint down to the base metal
• Exposed metal can allow rust to set in and spread
• Protects your vehicle’s finish

WHAT IS IT?

• A convenient, easy method to paint and re-seal small paint damage
• The only touch-up product for professionals and consumers developed from Acrylic Polyester base and clear coat technology
• Dual, polyester fibre tips ensure easy, ultra precise application of both base coat and clear coat
• Easy do-it-yourself repair for small scratches and scuffs

WHY TOYOTA TOUCH-UP PAINT?

• Specifically formulated for your Toyota
• The only touch-up paint approved by Toyota Canada
• Your best colour match choice
Louie

·
Registered
99 Posts
Paint Pen

Parts dept at Toyotatown in Stockton CA has the pens in stock and carries the Milliennum Silver pen. I bought one there last friday.

Phone 1 [800] 448-6968 and ask for parts.

Arizona Charlie

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Paint Pen

arizona charlie said:
Parts dept at Toyotatown in Stockton CA has the pens in stock and carries the Milliennum Silver pen. I bought one there last friday.

Arizona Charlie
arizona charlie said:

Arizona Charlie
Thank you so much! That's terrific! I will give them a call! Bless you.

(I hope that the Silver matches the USA silver. I find that Toyota has so many different hues to its colors and I believe that they might deviate country to country..... Is this a "Toyota paint pen" from Canada or A genuine Toyota paint pen made specifically for the color codes in the USA?? --Or is this a generic off-shoot paint pen? Just curious.) Again, THANKS A BUNCH!!!! :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Arizona Charley wrote: "I bought one there last friday." Did I understand correctly that you bought the SILVER paint pen-- or did I misunderstand? Does it have the same "paint number" that is on your original "window sticker" and/or door of car? If you DO have the silver, have you experimented with it yet? How is the color and did you love the way it works?

Thanks a bunch! :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:D I just spoke to Bob Hecht at Dan Hecht Toyota in Effingham, IL re: the paint pens with clear coat on one side. He said, I believe, that their parts dept. has them. I am going to speak to him again tomorrow and will verify that fact. They are definitely a great item to have. Precise touch up.....

I will report back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts