Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have 04 Prius. I left my car on for more than 10 hours by accident one day. The battery level was very low when I notice this mistake. Although the car appeared to have no problem after that, I just wonder if anybody knows what kind of damage it did to my car battery. Any input is appreciated.
Ping

·
Registered
220 Posts
qpli said:
Hi,
I have 04 Prius. I left my car on for more than 10 hours by accident one day. The battery level was very low when I notice this mistake. Although the car appeared to have no problem after that, I just wonder if anybody knows what kind of damage it did to my car battery. Any input is appreciated.
Ping
An important part of the Prius design is that it protects itself from most of the things that can damage it.

If the car was 'on' in the sense that you could drive it - i.e. ign on, then the ICE would start each time the battery got below a certain level, and stay on from, say, two bars to four bars. In the 'on' position, the battery will drain quite quickly and will need to be charged often. You might have come back to your car during a time when the ICE was between periods of charging. There should be no damage to the battery.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Don't do this as a routine habit, but just a one time mistake or even once in a while will do no harm at all. As above, the ICE will charge the battery as needed.

Do NOT, however, leave the car in the "READY" mode in neutral for a prolonged period of time...you can completely deplete the battery as the ICE can't charge it in that condition. That would be problematic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts