Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

This forum is great. I put into practice what I read about getting optimum mileage and it jumped from 38 around town to 56. I actually got 62 MPG on one 35 mile stretch that included lots of hills (net altitude change = 0 ft) and a long stretch of rough dirt road.

My current mission with the vehicle is to find, purchase and install front seats that are fully adjustable and would more adequately support my 6'4", 250 lb frame. A cursory investigation has turned up a couple of models made by Recaro, the STYLE and the ORTHOPED. They both have a wide range of power assisted adjustments plus <optional> lumbar support and full support for my thighs, half of which are hanging in mid-air with the factory supplied seats. They are certainly not inexpensive, running from $900 - $1500 depending on the model and the options, but they are well made and have strong warranty support.

What I'm wondering is if anyone else shares this situation, or has had different seats installed, or has words of wisdom, caution, praise or condemnation <lol, tongue in cheek>.

Also, can anybody shed light on the availability and advisability of 17" wheels for the Prius?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Custom Seats and 17" Wheels

I think Corbeau <http://www.corbeau.com/brochure/> does the best job with after market car seats. We need to find out what standard Toyota seat bracket the Prius uses. Then you could start to look at aftermarket seats.

Downside, you loose the side airbag option unless you get something pretty expensive. Upside, the seats are stronger and more rigid so safer.

THE BEST market seats are the VW Beetle seats. The Flip Forward option is useful in any car, and they are very comfortable. You could hook up the (standard) built in side airbag too if you knew what you were doing. If you could get a prius in something other than ca-ca brown interior, i would buy one and do this mod.

TO FIND WHEELS: Reference 1983 Toyota Corolla for size and offset. 16" are standard in Germany. 17 you could do, but would be kind of low for that car unless you did somethign about that "vague steering". Don't go over wide and get "low rolling resistance" if you want to keep those miles per up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Custom Seats and 17" Wheels

I think Corbeau <http://www.corbeau.com/brochure/> does the best job with after market car seats. We need to find out what standard Toyota seat bracket the Prius uses. Then you could start to look at aftermarket seats.

Downside, you loose the side airbag option unless you get something pretty expensive. Upside, the seats are stronger and more rigid so safer.

THE BEST market seats are the VW Beetle seats. The Flip Forward option is useful in any car, and they are very comfortable. You could hook up the (standard) built in side airbag too if you knew what you were doing. If you could get a prius in something other than ca-ca brown interior, i would buy one and do this mod.

TO FIND WHEELS: Reference 1983 Toyota Corolla for size and offset. 16" are standard in Germany. 17 you could do, but would be kind of low for that car unless you did somethign about that "vague steering". Don't go over wide and get "low rolling resistance" if you want to keep those miles per up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts