Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, I’m new on this forum. I’m from the Netherlands, and waiting for my ’06, that’s still on the ‘high seas’, and will land @ the end of June.
A question that nobody on the Dutch Prius forum could answer is the following:
On the Dutch official pricelist is listed a data transmission cable (about 50$ U.S.).
Can anybody tell me what the use of a cable like that could be? I teach information technology and am a Microsoft MCE .
Greetz,
Custo

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
computer cable

Gents,
Due to the time difference I cannot give you a part number right now, but it’s most certainly a physical cable.
Still I have no idea what the use might be. Hdrygas, you have to build your own? What for?
Greetz,
Custo

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dear Gents,

As prommesed:
Part nr :pz456-00890-06
The box is labelled:
Thf*5 pc&fax connection
Plugs:
One side USB ‘B’.
One side Serial RS-323
Use:
Until now unknown
Greetz
Custo

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
computer cable

Hyperion,
OB2 socket where you plug in the "scan gauge." Would that be the USB plug? The rs-323 is pretty much industrial stand. found on every laptop or machine with a computer connection.
greetz
Custo

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
This is a common computer adapter cable with 9-pin RS-232 serial on one end and USB on the other. I am not aware of either being used anywhere on the Prius.

It is possible the THHT tool uses one or the other, and this allows connection to a PC, perhaps for software downloading. But it has no use on the car itself. Unless you are buying a $5000(?) THHT tool, you won't need the cable.

The OBD connector is different.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
computer cable

"One would think even in Europe they would use an ODB DLC"
And 'One' is right DanMan. On Board Diag is used in 'the old world' also. :roll:
Still I'm puzzled because for OBD is a special tool required as I understand, and software on a laptop will be a different OS I think.
My dealer came up with the following suggestion: There is a possibility to connect the laptop through Bluetooth to the e/mail box to fetch mail.
Far fetched if you ask me....
Anybody with a better suggestion?
Greetz
Custo

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Re: computer cable

custodes1 said:
"One would think even in Europe they would use an ODB DLC"
And 'One' is right DanMan. On Board Diag is used in 'the old world' Custo
I never questioned having on board diagnostics. However, the interface to the outside world (protocol and connector) can be different in different markets.
For example, here in NA, we use NTSC, other countries use PAL, still others use SECAM. Its still video though, but different standards.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
milesahead, thx for your info!
After a little research myself I found this site>
http://www.kusnetz.net/prius/

The author states
qoute

I wrote a perl script to listen to the serial port (using a Keyspan USB->serial converter), which then sends the Apple Script commands. I've used the following perl modules found on CPAN.

Device::SerialPort

unquote
One step further
Greetz
Custo

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
That was to connect the serial out of the Can-View to his Mac.

Just above what you quoted:

Next I had to figure out how to read the touch screen. As I said earlier the CAN-View will send touch screen coordinates out the serial port. Basically it sends out 1 byte. The first nibble is the X coordinate; the second nibble is the Y coordinate. So for example F9 would by x=16, Y=9. Only a 16x16 grid (a parity byte will get you 32x16), which is quite sufficient for the small touch screen.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Looks like you plug the cable into your laptop and connect the cable somewhere to your Prius, than the car's bluetooth phone connection can be used as a modam to send/receive faxes and e-mails on/from the laptop.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
computer cable

Thx MRV and all others for yr input.
Sorry for the late reply but I was out of the country (in Italy where springtime already has started!)
Though I came little closer to my answers, some of the answers did put my on track. I’m going to risk a phone call to the Dutch importers (or are you working there Marco?) and let you know what they have to say on this small matter that puzzled me and some of you.
Greetz
Custo

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.