Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully this hasn't been "directly" addressed elsewhere and I just missed it; if so, please excuse the post due to the lateness of the hour - I tried searching, really! :wink:

Are there any specific recommendations re: using cruise control to increase mpg? I seemed to have relatively good luck with it on the 2003; haven't used it much on the 2004 (trying to see if I can do a decent job with just my foot). My wife was getting worse mileage than me on the 2003 when she first started driving it, then got better as she started using cruise control; might also be attributed to her getting used to the Prius.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I use the cruise control all the time with Prius. I see a definite increase in MPG's. I get up to speed than set it. I wish it would work after you stop. There is a street around my home that is 35mph and 3 stop signs about a mile apart, and slightly downhill. I get to the speed, than the cruise control just uses stealth the rest of the way.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I use the cruise whenever practically possible. I don't know if it helps or hurts the mileage because I've always used it. I do believe that the computer can do a better job than me so I just keep it between the ditches.....and my right leg/foot thanks me, too. BTW, 49 mpg over 3000 miles so far......

·
Registered
928 Posts
In my 2001, I can beat the cruise control at the MPG game if I work really hard at it, but if I don't pay so much attention I do worse. So I mostly use the cruise control whenever possible.

·
Registered
81 Posts
What he said.
If I pay attention, I can do better than the cruise control. Particularly in hilly areas. It is a nice feature though, and I think it makes for easier driving.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I set the cruise control to whatever the speed limit is - in most cases this is 65 since most of my 20 mile (each way) commute is freeway. Since the Prius's efficiency starts to fall off at > 65MPG, I figure it works out perfectly - but I have had to learn to drive slower and the cruise control really helped out there.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Brian said:
I use the cruise control all the time with Prius. I see a definite increase in MPG's. I get up to speed than set it. I wish it would work after you stop. There is a street around my home that is 35mph and 3 stop signs about a mile apart, and slightly downhill. I get to the speed, than the cruise control just uses stealth the rest of the way.
Cruise control does indeed improve mileage. AND it will "resume" after you stop as long as you haven't shut the car down. See your manual for an explanation of how to get your speed control to resume a previous setting.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Bob Allen said:
AND it will "resume" after you stop as long as you haven't shut the car down. See your manual for an explanation of how to get your speed control to resume a previous setting.
I haven't yet found this in my manual beyond resuming if speed hasn't dropped below 24 mph. And I have not seen reference to this on the 2 bulletin boards I frequent. Point us to the specific location of the information, if you would, please. Many of us would love to resume after stopping at a stop sign as is the case with all other cruise controls used in the past. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What kind of MPG are you all getting with cruise? Did a few experiments these evening on a flat section of the 10 in Northern California. Saw something like this:

Cruise Control at 61mph = 38-45 MPG
Cruise Control at 54mph = 40-50 MPG
Cruise Control at 45mph = 50-59 MPG

Adam

1 - 9 of 9 Posts