Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to be getting better mpg driving without the cruise control on than with. Anyone else see this?

·
Registered
381 Posts
In my case, it seems to depend on the terrain. If it's very flat and level, I figure the cruise control is probably more constant than my foot. However, my route to/from work has a few "dips" (both in the road surface and otherwise 8)), and I find that by keeping my foot steady and letting the car just slow down/speed up by 1mph or so gets me better mpg.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just got home from a long road trip to S.F. and back to L.A. with lots of driving in between. It did seem to me that I was able to get better MPG using my foot than I was getting with cruise control. With cruise on, it felt like the car was constantly using the gas engine even on downhills, like it was using engine braking to maintain my speed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The Prius manual tells you that you will, indeed, get better MPG without cruise control. I do not use it. I average about 50 MPG each fill up.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly! Letting it lag a few MPH going up hills, and then taking my foot all the way off on the down hills seems to maximize the MPG. I know this is old hat to most of you. I am still on my first K.

Had a guy follow me in to Burger King the other day to ask (drool) about my car.

·
Registered
77 Posts
karenann,
I figure my 48 mpg is worth the 2 mpg cost to use my cruise and not have to worry about the blue lights (and the costs associated with them)........and besides, it's just plain easier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts