Toyota Prius Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
CC & Speed Limit

I love using cruise control, even around town in light traffic I will use it
(45MPH roads) because sometimes I go a little faster than I realize and it helps prevent possible tickets.
I generally drive the speed limit or up to 5miles over and while I will admit there are some roads in some places I think have "crazy" speed limits for the conditions, I rather like the wide open freeways out here in AZ with a sane 75mph speed limit.
I grew up with CT's 55mph speed limit and sometimes that just feels like you are not moving.
espec. when no one else is doing 55.....
sorry Daniel, I'm all for safety and I drive very defensively but I have to disagree with you on this one. Some roads you can safely drive 70 to 75,
and while I also like to conserve fuel when you have a couple of thousand miles to drive you don't want it to take 36 hours instead of 28
:lol:

·
Registered
381 Posts
BIF said:
I think I can anecdotally confirm Patrick's assertion that an alert driver can have a slight improvement over the Prius cruise control.
I'll second that (or should that be third?); I've had similar observations myself. The 2003 was my first long-term experience with cruise (on a regular basis with my own car). The 2004 has been just different enough to be... well... different. :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
karenann said:
You learn to watch the right side of the "consumption" screen.
I did that myself with the 2003, and started to with the 2004. I've recently found myself using the Energy screen more, noting whether the battery is in a "charge" or "draw" (drain?) state. The more I can keep the battery in the 5-6 bar range, the better my mpg seems to be. I'm currently at 49.9 over 300 miles on this tank, making it my highest tank mpg to date so far - hoping to cross the "magic" 50 mark before I refuel next weekend. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
My CC holds the speed very close to set point except on VERY steep hills were the speed climbs (pretty much like the other two vehicles I have with CC). I also see regen during the downhill stretches. I imagine Toyota felt it safest to have the CC act as much like standard vehicles as possible. While I personally would like a CC "aggresiveness" slider and suspect that used correctly it could up the mpg, I think the other drivers on the road behind me would tend to go nuts. I know I've been "trapped" behind someone who is constantly servo-ing around by +/- 5 mph and it can be quite annoying.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts