Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
somebody help me :oops:
I don't have an owners manual and apparantly the cruise control button doesn't like me. Is there some trick to getting it to work? I know it works I got it on, but only once.

thx!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Can you describe what you do and how it responds or fails to respond? We're not sure what your problem is.

·
Registered
582 Posts
cc 2002

The first thing to do is check that the brake lights go on when the brake pedal is pressed. Back up to a wall to see the red reflection, or borrow another set of eyes. The brake pedal switch is involved in cc operation.

That OK, you need to crawl into the footwell and get to the white cable connector on the brake pedal switch you just tested. It is way up under the dash. Unplug that connector, check that the electrical contacts are clean, and reconnect it. Do the disconnect/reconnect a couple of times to make sure it's in there good.

Now start the car and see if you can make the blue "cruise" display come on by manipulating the cc switch. If I recall, you don't have to be above the minimum cc speed (22? mph) to toggle that light.

I can't think of any other fix that would not involve a new cc switch (read: new steering wheel), or some even more costly response. I am assuming you are very familiar with how to use the cc swtch, that there are about 4 ways to move it. Good luck.

DAS

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm on the highway and i try to turn the cruise control on by pushing the button in. and nothing happens, the car just slows down til the people behind me are ticked. :wink:
Do i need to be pushing the gas or the brake or something while i push in the cruise button? do i need to hold it in for a few seconds? I'm trying everything and it doesn't work. just dumber than the lever I guess. I get the accelerate push forward/back part, if i can just get it on.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Using the cruise control feature is a two step operation and it sounds like you might be just doing the first step.

The first step is pushing the button at the end of the cruise control stem. The turns on the cruise control feature but it doesn't set your speed for you. You need the next step.

When you get the car to the speed you want to maintain, you have to push the stem down to set the speed. After pushing the stem down, immediately take your foot off the gas and it should maintain that speed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts