Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we've mentioned crosswinds in other threads, but MY GOODNESS!! :shock: There's a long bridge across the Susquehanna River on 95 in Maryland. I know it's often breezy, and have had exciting rides in other cars, but WHOA!! Little Prius got a little TOO exciting this afternoon! YOWZA. Don't let on - Mom's in the passenger seat - but I white knuckled all the way across. :shock:

Love the car, not getting rid of it, just something I have to pay more attention to. That bridge is particularly prone to cross winds (they even post alerts along the interstate about it), so it's not like I run into the adventure very often. But still!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was reading a thread on Priuschat on this.

The discussion at Priuschat seems to be that the car acts as a wing and lifts the car. Others have done some work on a spoiler to redirect wind to sides rather than underneath car and have found that helps immensely. I haven't had any problems yet, but if I do I plan on doing some modifications.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Not that much.

Sure it will effect mileage. Depends on what you want...mpg or safety. And I can't believe such a small adjustment will cost that much mpg. Seems like a small, simple fix. Scroll down to see a picture of a modification made to an existing part that helped.

http://www.priuschat.com/forums/next-vt ... &&start=80

You might want to read the entire thread.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Sorry Godiva, that "url" will not come up for me. I can only add that The article I read about the wind tunnel testing done by Prius designers stated that the spoiler alone was changed fourteen times to get the desired effect. I believe that we have all experienced strong crosswinds that can be attention getting and no one wants to drive in dangerous conditions but I have seen the same wind warning signs which were posted for all vehicles in many parts of the country. You probably have an area similar in your vicinity but you "can't have your cake, and eat it too" (so to speak) '
JC Whitney's catalog is full of ground spoilers which will keep even a Camero planted firmly on the ground at 110 MPH plus but it will kill your milage by as much as thirty percent. You have to find a balance of how often you encounter the conditions and why you purchased the car.
Since Toyota did all their testing in a wind tunnel I expect they did under all conditions and not just for "anti-drag."

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hyperion said:
...It will be blown around in heavy winds at speed just like the Lexas sedan in the lane beside you. Those signs on the bridge were not just for the Prius.
Yup, I know - and that's why I said I've had exciting rides on that bridge in other cars. I felt sorry for the semi that was next to me! Talk about large area to catch wind! More like a sail!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Sanny said:
I know we've mentioned crosswinds in other threads, but MY GOODNESS!! :shock: There's a long bridge across the Susquehanna River on 95 in Maryland. I know it's often breezy, and have had exciting rides in other cars, but WHOA!! Little Prius got a little TOO exciting this afternoon! YOWZA. Don't let on - Mom's in the passenger seat - but I white knuckled all the way across. :shock:

Love the car, not getting rid of it, just something I have to pay more attention to. That bridge is particularly prone to cross winds (they even post alerts along the interstate about it), so it's not like I run into the adventure very often. But still!
Sanny, very interesting that you mention driving in the crosswinds. I thought it was just me having to hold on tighter as I drive along open highways around here. My jeep was top heavy, so I assumed the Prius would be easier to control. Not a big problem, just a surprise for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts