Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a cross country and back trip in my '04 Prius. I was very happy with how the car performed and how comfortable I was driving it for so long. I was somewhat pleasantly surprised by the MPG, given that I wasn't trying at all to drive economically like I usually do.

Heading East:

1. Left San Jose, CA
2. Mt. Rushmore, SD
3. Niagara Falls, Ontario
4. Philadelphia, PA
5. Wildwood, NJ

Total miles: 3564
Avg. Speed: Speed limit + 10 MPH
Total Gas: 77.1 gallons
Total MPG: 46.2

Heading West:

1. Left Philadelphia, PA
2. Cawker City, KS (the World's Largest Ball of Twine)
3. Denver, CO
4. Four Corners
5. Grand Canyon
6. Hoover Dam
7. Las Vegas, NV
8. San Jose, CA

Total Miles: 3687
Avg Speed: Speed limit + 5 MPH
Total Gas: 73.2 gallons
Total MPG: 50.4 MPG

I'm guesssing that the 5 MPH reduction in speed led to the increase in MPG.

One other interesting thing, going over the Rockies I was easily able to maintain 5 MPH over the speed limit (80 MPH at times). When I was going 85 over them heading East, the car slowed down to 80 MPH 2 times for less than a minute each time. The battery did get down to 1 bar and stayed there for quite a while and the engine revs were pretty high but it had no problems with the hills.

I just thought some may find this interesting.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thank you for that, I did find if quite interesting.

Funny how going just a little bit slower gets you better MPG.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Cross Country Trip

Just curious, what route did you take from Las Vegas to San Jose? I am planning a similar trip, and don't see an obvious route without driving a lot of smaller roads (non-Interstate highways).

Assuming you didn't drive down I-15 back to LA or south to high-desert area above San Bernardino and across to I-5, what were the secondary roads like?

Thanks for the info...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Don't forget...

Well, you know going West you're traveling WITH the rotation of the Earth, rather than AGAINST; so that's good for at least 5MPG. :twisted:

Yes, it's a joke.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sethd: two things --
'04+ *is* the third generation prius.
And slower speeds --> better mileage is bleedin' obvious
when you consider the power required to buck air
resistance goes up as the CUBE of speed...
_H*

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Nope. It's the second generation. The first is 1997-2003.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Tideland Prius said:
Sorry, but by general consensus, 1997-(Japanese)1999 is first, (US)1999-2003 is second, 2004+ is third. There were significant engine, motor, battery, and computer differences between the 1997-1999 Japanese-only models and the worldwide 1999-2003 (including all Japanese 2000-2003) models.

They're sometimes referred to as 'Original' and 'Classic'. Those two lines did share almost identical body stylings, though, which confuses some people. (So they might refer to 'generations' solely by body style, which would make it seem like the current style really is only the second generation.) The basic hybrid system of 1997-2003 did remain very similar, but both the ICE and electric motor got HP boosts in 1999, and the battery capacity almost doubled. They are basically the same core design, though; just with major improvements. This older design is called the 'Toyota Hybrid System' or THS, whereas the newer 2004+ from-the-ground-up redesign is referred to as 'Hybrid Synergy Drive' or HSD.

The Lexus 400h and Highlander Hybrid also use 'HSD' for their hybrid powertrain. The Ford Escape Hybrid apparently shares some design similarities to the THS, necessitating Ford licensing some of Toyota's patents; although both Ford and Toyota insist that there was no actual collaboration on design. Simply that when Ford's engineers were done, Ford's legal team did research, and discovered that Toyota had already patented some of the design.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just curious, what route did you take from Las Vegas to San Jose?
I took I-15 South to Barstow. From there, I took CA-58 from Barstow to Bakersfield. I then went through Bakersfield to get to I-5 North. CA 58 was actually freeway most of the way. It isn't a freeway right in Barstow but it becomes a 65 MPH 2 lane road after a pretty short while and then it becomes a full fledged highway. It looks pretty new actually. The trip from Las Vegas to San Jose took me about 7 hours.

In the past, I took some other road and cut over to Palmdale but that took me longer. Also, I think going through or near LA to get to I-5 is insane.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
ehurtley said:
Tideland Prius said:
Sorry, but by general consensus, 1997-(Japanese)1999 is first, (US)1999-2003 is second, 2004+ is third. There were significant engine, motor, battery, and computer differences between the 1997-1999 Japanese-only models and the worldwide 1999-2003 (including all Japanese 2000-2003) models.

They're sometimes referred to as 'Original' and 'Classic'. Those two lines did share almost identical body stylings, though, which confuses some people. (So they might refer to 'generations' solely by body style, which would make it seem like the current style really is only the second generation.) The basic hybrid system of 1997-2003 did remain very similar, but both the ICE and electric motor got HP boosts in 1999, and the battery capacity almost doubled. They are basically the same core design, though; just with major improvements. This older design is called the 'Toyota Hybrid System' or THS, whereas the newer 2004+ from-the-ground-up redesign is referred to as 'Hybrid Synergy Drive' or HSD.
Yeah I know. You don't call the 2005 Camry the 6th generation just because the SE V6 got a power boost from 210 to 225hp (old SAE standards).

I'll agree it's Toyota's 3rd generation HYBRID system but in terms of model generation, it's still 2nd. They just changed the wheels, added a rear spoiler, removed the bumper guards and of course updated the hybrid system.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Tideland Prius said:
ehurtley said:
[quote="Tideland Prius":1smz9kid]Nope. It's the second generation. The first is 1997-2003.

Yeah I know. You don't call the 2005 Camry the 6th generation just because the SE V6 got a power boost from 210 to 225hp (old SAE standards).

I'll agree it's Toyota's 3rd generation HYBRID system but in terms of model generation, it's still 2nd. They just changed the wheels, added a rear spoiler, removed the bumper guards and of course updated the hybrid system.[/quote:1smz9kid]

Actually, it's 1998-2000 model years, and 2001-2003 model years.

One of the easiest ways to tell a 1998-2000 model year Japanese Prius to a 2001-2003 model year Prius, other than looking at the size of the hybrid battery pack, is to look at the MFD. On a 1998-2000 MY, it's simply a display screen with 6 buttons underneath the screen for you to push, corresponding to softbutton tabs on the screen. For 2001, the MFD became a touchscreen display.

I'll note that hybrid management is a big difference. (Just ask the Mk1_Prius yahoogroup owners), it's fairly easy to get the Turtle on the 1998-2000 model years, and the hybrid battery packs can be run down to the point of needing replacements at this stage of life (if they haven't been replaced already). Supposedly in Japan there's a free replacement program for them. On a 2001-2003 Prius, it's rare to ever see the turtle light, and some of the conditions where the light would go on were removed for the 2001-2003 (such as on long uphill climbs). The light was completely removed for 2004.

And I wouldn't say it's Toyota's 3rd hybrid system. 2001-2003 Prius is the THS, 2004-? Prius/Highlander/RX400H is THS-II, Estima is THS-C/E-four, Crown is THS-M, and I don't know what's on the Alphard...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
mrv said:
Actually, it's 1998-2000 model years, and 2001-2003 model years.
Ah, yes, that's right. I must have been confusing it with the U.S. release of the Insight in '99.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts