Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an interesting Italian Web site with Prius crash test data. It describes testing done with Prii in a variety of front, side and rear impacts with vehicles of differing sizes, including full-size SUVs.

Here's an excerpt:

Smart engineering solutions

From a very early development stage, a huge amount of computerised crash simulations were conducted to develop a bodyshell which offers the optimum balance between low weight and crash protection. This enabled the engineers to take the right direction in the development process since the start of the project.

To achieve this all-important balance between weight and resistance, some 45% of the Prius body is constructed from High-Strength Steel. In addition, in a world auto industry first, Ultra High-Strength Steel in key areas such as the B-pillar is combined with a hot-stamping manufacturing process, making this material 2.5 times stronger than conventional High-Strength Steel.

To confirm the data from the crash test simulations, a programme of 125 real crash tests took place for Prius - substantially more than usually conducted in the development of a new model.

Addressing real-life safety issues

'Real world' safety issues such as child safety and collisions between two vehicles of differing weights and sizes were addressed during the development of the new Prius.

Impacts between different size and weight vehicles constitute the most common type of accident in Europe, so Prius was crashed against the far larger Toyota Land Cruiser as part of the testing regime, both vehicles driving at 50 km/h. As a result, Prius occupants enjoy the highest possible levels of protection in real-life frontal, side and rear impacts.

Here's the link to the full article:

http://www.newstreet.it/home/article_Id_627.html

Drive happy,
Moo :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Any Differences?

Just because I’m not sure, are there any differences between the USA/North American Prius and the Italian/European models?

Bests...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Any Differences?

Spinnaker said:
Just because I’m not sure, are there any differences between the USA/North American Prius and the Italian/European models?

Bests...
I've been unable to find any reference to structural/safety differences between vehicles delivered to different markets. Until I learn otherwise, I am assuming the answer to your question is, No.
Drive happy,

·
Registered
928 Posts
Well, there's the rear disk/drum brake issue, and several people have posted that the European version of the Prius has a tighter/harsher suspension.

I'll note them here, but the implications have been strenuously argued elsewhere, so I'll suggest that further comments on these subjects be made in the existing threads covering these subjects.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Re: Any Differences?

Spinnaker said:
Probably regulatory differences:

Headlamp beam pattern
Side visible turn signal in Europe
Air bag design (must be capable of restraining unbelted driver in the US, no such requirement in Europe)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to clarify: When I said I was unaware of any safety differences between vehicles in various markets I was referring to structural features, such as were described in the originally linked article, not braking systems, headlamps, etc.
Drive happy,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts