Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say, for example, one were to misplace one of his or her SmartKeys and desired a replacement. How much would this person need to spend to get a new one, and where could it be obtained?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
About $200 purchased from your dealer (you might find one on EBay), plus programming your car to accept it, about another $50+

Now if you lost both keys, then the immoblizer supposedly needs to be replaced. Now you are talking $1000.
However I think I read a TSB where the immobilizer can be re-seeded by a dealer to accept new fobs without an existing one, though it depends on the dealer's willingness and knowlegability to do it.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
DanMan32 said:
About $200 purchased from your dealer (you might find one on EBay), plus programming your car to accept it, about another $50+

Now if you lost both keys, then the immoblizer supposedly needs to be replaced. Now you are talking $1000.
However I think I read a TSB where the immobilizer can be re-seeded by a dealer to accept new fobs without an existing one, though it depends on the dealer's willingness and knowlegability to do it.
For some other Toyotas with an engine immobilizer, it is possible for the dealer to reseed it without a recognized key (immobilizer system reset, and the dealer scantool can read the immobilizer data). However, for the Prius there is no reset available, nor can the data be read by the dealer's scantool. (This is at least for the 2001-2003 Prius, and the 2003 Sequoia, based on a Oct. 2003 TSB EL016-03.)

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Toyota/11250 ... index.html

SS003-02, Revised Aug. 26, 2005. DIAGNOSTIC TESTER IMMOBILIZER FUNCTIONS

It would seem that the new diagnostic tester may be able to reseed an immobilizer ECU for a 2001-2005 Prius w/o Smartkey, according to that document...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sharing Smartkeys

I purchased two smartkeys off e-bay ( 2004-5 Prius was totaled by each previous owner ). I own a Toyota dealer scantool with dealer software ( also purchased off e-bay $4K ouch!)

The immobilizer ECU accepted the ‘used’ (programmed for another car) smartkeys but the smartkey ECU would not. I have to use the metal key to unlock the car, after that, the car starts and runs on the used keys in my pocket. I purchased two new metal keys and had them cut for the same car. End Result: 4 dirvers can access and drive the same car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.