Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving in stop and go traffic this morning i noticed that the average mpg "bar" did not appear in the 0-5 minutes area on the screen. As time passed this blank area moved accross the screen with the time frames filling in behind as they normally do.
Has anyone else experienced this?

thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
991 Posts
firepa63 said:
I have had the same thing happen. Usually it's when I'm just sitting waiting for someone and I have the vehicle in park with the power on.
What he said. When I'm in park mode and just sitting waiting at the airport, etc (20 minutes+) it just shifts those 4 bars over, empty.. and continues on.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
If you are just sitting there, you are accumulating 0 miles. If for the entire 5 minute span you move 0 miles, as long as you used some fuel, even mathematically that is 0 MPG. Now if the ICE never comes on during that time, thats a 0/0 which mathematically is undefined. Toyota chose to display this also as 0 MPG which seems intuitively a correct way to interpret it.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
DanMan32 said:
If you are just sitting there, you are accumulating 0 miles. If for the entire 5 minute span you move 0 miles, as long as you used some fuel, even mathematically that is 0 MPG. Now if the ICE never comes on during that time, thats a 0/0 which mathematically is undefined. Toyota chose to display this also as 0 MPG which seems intuitively a correct way to interpret it.
What Dan said, but also, if you are sitting idle with the A/C system in full off, headlights off, and with minimal use of the radio or other electrical consumers that you are in control of, the vehicle will require little power from the HV battery to the 12v system to have hte car in idle. As such so long as the ICE doesn't fire up to recharge the HV battery while in this idle state you will get 0mpg 5 minute bars, but your tank average should not change.

However, if you are running accessories or the A/C system while idle, you ICE may start and that will require fuel thus lowering your tank average.

Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've had the same situation occur while driving in stop and go traffic on a long downhill grade. In one 6-7 minute stretch, I was slowly coasting forward for about 2 miles and the ICE never started. The 5 minute block showed 0 MPG.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Hey, WillowsPuppy & orangewingnut,

Last year I was in slow, stop & go traffic for a little over 20 minutes (with no blower motor turn'g for either heat or A/C) & I had 4 bars show'g 100 MPG on my '05's display screen. I would have expected you to see similar on your screen, NOT zero MPG. After all, you did cover about 2 miles (me probably about 5 miles---I don't remember).

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.