Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought you may be interested in the CR ratings for the Prius... Double-click the image below to get a better view. I'm curious about the negative ratings for the Fuel and Electrical systems for the 04 model year.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Impressive. Time will tell as the 05 clicks down a few years and has some real road experiance on it. It will be very interesting to see how well it retains its current scores.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would think the fuel rating might have something to do with the gas tank. Many Prius owners have not been able to put the full amount of gas in their tanks. On the electrical side, a number of people, including myself, had to replace the display screen. That may be the reason for the negative numbers there.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
paul16451 said:
I'm not real familiar with CR ratings...can someone explain the symbols and the different font colors?
The short of it is... the redder, the better.

·
Registered
515 Posts
It's a pretty safe bet saying they rate vehicles as originally equipped.

So if a SSC improves the model afterward, it will *NOT* be reflected in the rating.

That's likely the case, especially for the 2004.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The reliability ratings are based on questioners set out to users, like me. I got one and have a #9 BC '04. Ratings are based on user experence.

·
Registered
35 Posts
firepa63 said:
I'm curious about the negative ratings for the Fuel and Electrical systems for the 04 model year.
There is always a large discrepancy between EPA estimates and real life gas mileage. I have read several reports of complaints by Prius drivers who really expected to achieve the EPA-estimated 60+ mpg.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Strange! I have the CR annual in front of me. It is the 2006 buying guide that was released this fall for use in 2006.

It does not list the 2005 model of the Prius as it was too early to rate any of the 2006 models.

For the 2004 Prius all categories had the maximum rating (equivalent to full red but was full grey as the annual was not printed in color). This is equivalnet to 2% or less reported problems in any of the 14 rated areas.

The 2003 model had all categories rated at the best level (less than 2% reported problems) except Electrical, which had a 5 to 9.3% reported problem level).

The 2002 model Prius lists all categories at the best level except Fuel, which had a rating of 2 to 5% reported problem level, Electrical and Suspension with 5 to 9.3% problemelevels.

The 2001 Prius had an average trouble rating with Fuel, Electrical and Suspension (5 to 9.3% problem rating).

All models of the Prius, 2001 to 2004, had a black check which denoted better than average overall reliability as compared to all cars.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Old n Bold said:
Strange! I have the CR annual in front of me. It is the 2006 buying guide that was released this fall for use in 2006.

It does not list the 2005 model of the Prius as it was too early to rate any of the 2006 models.
The chart I posted came off the CR web site. The web is more current than the magazine. I subscribe to both.

·
Registered
455 Posts
paul16451 said:
I'm not real familiar with CR ratings...can someone explain the symbols and the different font colors?
This is off the top of my head, so the verbage might be slightly off

the red circle with the white dot in the middle = much better than average
the half red circle = slightly better than average
empty/white circle = average
half black circle = slightly worse than average
full black circle = much worse than average

I too would guess the fuel system issues are mostly gas tank related. There has also been a TSB for the gas tank, so people would have marked that on their CR surveys.

One thing I never really agreed with is that CR compares all cars together, instead of comparing them to like model years. So, for instance, the '04 Prius isn't compared to just '04 cars; rather it is compared to all cars they receive surveys for. So the fact that the older models don't show as much red, isn't as big a concern as it initially might appear.

Spike

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I would agree, the poor rating of the electrical and fuel is probably related to the issues that have been addressed by TSBs and campaigns. However, most of the issues were found during the corresponding warranty period and fixed, so the 2004 should really fall under the same rating as 2005.

·
Registered
455 Posts
john1701a said:
It's a pretty safe bet saying they rate vehicles as originally equipped.

So if a SSC improves the model afterward, it will *NOT* be reflected in the rating.

That's likely the case, especially for the 2004.
What the heck is a SSC?

And as someone else said, they (CR) send out surveys to their subscriber base, and ask about problems we have had. I suppose a person could alert to problems they have had with something aftermarket, no one would know; but I don't beleive most people would do that.

And whether or not a problem is fixed or not, it should still be reported. It was a problem an owner had with that year make and model car.

Spike

·
Registered
455 Posts
DanMan32 said:
I would agree, the poor rating of the electrical and fuel is probably related to the issues that have been addressed by TSBs and campaigns. However, most of the issues were found during the corresponding warranty period and fixed, so the 2004 should really fall under the same rating as 2005.
Even if fixed I think it should be reported, after all it was an issue. I would guess that 99% of all the problems reported on all the cars in CR were fixed; whether by warranty, or owner's pocket. Where we would get into a grey area, is whether you should report a problem "solved" by a TSB, if you never personally experienced that issue.

I mean really, when you think about it, it is amazing how well even the '04 does. Considering it was just a HUGE update from a previous model -- always problematic for any car maker. And argueably the Prius is one of the more complex cars out there. Toyota really stretched for it. When you compare it to say a two year old Ford, and it is rated better, and the Ford was an existing model, that is very telling to me.
I for one, when I bought my '04, had in the back of my mind, that even though it was Toyota, I could be making a large mistake. I even have a rule, broken for the Prius, that I don't buy in the first year of a introduction or major remodel. Statictically they tend to have more issues.

Spike

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The point to the report is for someone considering buying a 2004 Prius to become aware that they might have problems with the electrical or the fuel system. By now, all 2004s should have the problems in these areas fixed, so a new purchaser of a used 2004 should not encounter problems there.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
HIVOLTAGE said:
"Red Donuts" are a good thing! 8)
So are apple cider ones from the local farm market. Mmmmm... :::drool:::

·
Registered
84 Posts
oh Sanny did you touch on one of my favorite things apple sauce doughnuts can't find them in okla :( but remember them from ohio could you send me some :D

·
Registered
455 Posts
DanMan32 said:
The point to the report is for someone considering buying a 2004 Prius to become aware that they might have problems with the electrical or the fuel system. By now, all 2004s should have the problems in these areas fixed, so a new purchaser of a used 2004 should not encounter problems there.
Yeah, but the same would be true for many cars/issues. As long as everyone is measured by the same yardstick, its fair. And so, next year, we sould expect the '04 models to do better in those areas.

Spike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts