Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all...

to start... i have done some searches within the forum but haven't found the "exact" answers i am looking for...

- i am about 6'2" (probably 185-190lbs), i'm wondering if i'll be comfortable in the car.. i've only sat in one momentarily that was in the middle of being "delivered" to it's new owners

- is the tax deduction really going down to $500 in 2006? meaning if i buy before the end of the year i'll "save" and additional $1500 (as the current 01-05 deduction is $2000)

- any problems with winter driving? my fiancee lives in montreal and it gets very, very cold there... snow tires help? i currently use nokian WRs on my volvo s40

in any event... that is a start...

i hope everyone is enjoying their priuses... i might be joining your ranks before long!!!

sbpwjm
red bank, nj

·
Registered
249 Posts
Answers

to: sbpwjm
red bank, nj

1.- I am 6'-0": No Problems at all.
2.- Tax deduction: Going down 1500 you will deduct only 500.
3.- Winter driving: No problem for a sedan at all.

More answers upon questions....

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
First of all , search this website. It's at least 50/50 on the comfort. I'm six feet and can't get comfortable. Very little adjustment any where.
Get's an honest 45 MPG.
My daughter was visiting for two weeks the first of this month. She drove my Prius continuously while here. She owns a Volvo S40 and wouldn't think of swapping it for a Prius. She liked the Prius but felt it was more of a toy when comparing it with her Volvo. But she's a doctor so what does she know!

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Many dealers keep a Prius on hand as a rental. Why not check with dealers in the area to see if they have one. Rent it for a couple of days and see how it feels.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am 6' 0" and have had the Prius for 6 mo. and find the seat comfortable. I have driven it a lot locally and taken one trip with two whole days driving. It is better than a lot of cars I have owned. But, an extra two inches in height and personal preferences sure can make a difference. My wife is 5' 3" and she finds it comfortable as well. Guess you will have to make your own assessment here.

As to mileage, the lifetime mpg (for 7,000 miles) is now at 52 mpg. That includes a large variety of driving -- in town, country roads, interstate. I just took it to Seattle in absurd traffic and a side trip to a Mariners game, with all the nasty stuff around the stadium. For the entire 150 mi. roundtrip and the nasty traffic I got around 51 mpg. The worst tank of gas I have gotten is 48 mpg. The best was 63. The worst was when I was playing around with it trying to find out how the thing works under various conditons.

In the lst 56 years I have owned a LOT of cars -- cars of a large variety of personalities and performance characteristics. I have also leased a LOT of cars on business and personal trips -- usually trying out new or popular cars to learn more about them. I can honestly say the only other car that pleased me as much was an old 1938 Dodg sedan. But, it was my first car and it was MINE! When I couldn't afford to buy much gas, I would wash it and sit in it and just enjoy knowing that it was MINE, ALL MINE! Even when the left rear master leaf spring broke, setting me down on the axle or when the engine crapped out and had to be overhauled, that was okay. It was still MINE!

Oh well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so try it out yourself. You may not feel it suits you. That's okay too. Just give it a good try.

·
Registered
39 Posts
sbpwjm said:
hello all...

- is the tax deduction really going down to $500 in 2006? meaning if i buy before the end of the year i'll "save" and additional $1500 (as the current 01-05 deduction is $2000)
The energy bill that was recently passed changed the 2006 deduction from a $500 deduction into a tax *credit* that could go as high as $3800 depending on the hybrid that's purchased. It's complicated and there's a per-manufacturer limit to the number of tax credits that will be given out.

To be sure what's happening, check with a tax attorney or accountant. You can also find out more by searching the threads both here and at priuschat.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
As the clarification on the tax benefit; this year, you reduce your effective income by $2000 (known as a 'deduction', because you deduct it from your income.) This has a varying effect on your taxes depending on what tax bracket you're in. (If it happens to be enough to drop you from one tax bracket to the next, it will help alot. Last year, it made us go from a $51 refund to a $175 refund.)

Next year, it will be a varying price CREDIT, applied directly to your taxes owed. The maximum credit is $3600, but it's not positive if the Prius would qualify for this entire amount. If you pay more than the credit in taxes, then you get that full amount in benefit. That means that if the credit happens to be $3000, my last year's would have gone from a $51 refund to a $3051 refund. BUT, this new credit will only apply to the first few thousand vehicles sold by each manufacturer. So if you buy your Prius in January, odds are you'll get it. If you wait until December, you almost assuredly won't.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Bit of history, which might explain your confusion.

The original hybrid tax incentive was supposed to start phasing out starting tax year 2004 where it would be $1500, and drop $500 each subsequent year. But in October 0f 2004, the deduction phase-out was to be suspended and the full deduction available for the 2004 and 2005. After that, the phase-out would resume its original schedule, which was $500 deduction.

But this month, an energy bill was passed that not only increased the amount, but made it a CREDIT instead of a deduction.

But there's a catch. Only the first 60,000 qualifying vehicles of any manufacturer would get the credit, after which a phase out begins. Full credit is given for vehicles purchased after the 1st quarter after the 60K limit was reached, after which it decreases each quarter.
I don't know if Toyota would sell 60K hybrids in 3 months (this limitation is not limited to Prius, the Hylander has to be considered, as well as the possible Camry), but if they did, then you have until end of June to purchase a Toyota hybrid and get the full credit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts