Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two questions;
1- Dose anyone know how many computers the Prius has, would be great gee-wiz information.

2- I just noticed that the Blue bars on the battery storage indicator turned Green for a while when all bars were lighted except for the top 2. Then when it dropped down one bar so that the top 3 bars were off the bars below that turned Blue again. Anyone know what the change to Green bars means?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
vmbosik said:
Two questions;
1- Dose anyone know how many computers the Prius has, would be great gee-wiz information.

2- I just noticed that the Blue bars on the battery storage indicator turned Green for a while when all bars were lighted except for the top 2. Then when it dropped down one bar so that the top 3 bars were off the bars below that turned Blue again. Anyone know what the change to Green bars means?
There are 8 'bars' on the display. If only one or two are filled in, they are pink/purple/magenta/red (pick a name, I think they're purple.) If it's between 3 and 6 bars (inclusive) then it's blue. If it's 7 or 8 bars, it's green. It's just a quick visual indicator so you can tell what rough state of charge you're at. But, don't worry about it. The car takes care of everything. It will never let the battery get 'too full', nor will it let it drain completely. (Unless you leave it in Neutral with the A/C going.) Green just means "Hey, I'm almost full!" and pink/purple "Hey, I'm almost empty!" You will notice the car is more willing to operate on battery power alone when the bars are in the green, and that it's almost impossible to run on battery alone when they are purple.

I live in a hilly city, and I see green often, and 8-bars-full at least once a week. I rarely see purple, and have never seen 'no bars'. (I've only seen 'one bar' once or twice.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
calinkus & ehurtley;
Thanks for the information, sure is nice to get questions answered so fast. Your right, the Prius is like a space craft as it is constantly taking care of every little detail with minimal human input or concern. So sit back and relax while 14 computers tend to your driving pleasure.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
How did you manage to get down to one red (purple, pink, whatever) bar? The car usually won't let it go lower than 2.

Some modules aren't called ECUs, even though they probably do have a microcontroller (such as the VSC yaw sensor), and there are probably some ECUs that don't have a microcontroller. And then, do you include the MFD, radio head unit, NAV, and the amp in the list? They are tied to and communicate over a network, and through the gateway ECU, can indirectly communicate with the drivetrain network (CAN).

·
Registered
669 Posts
DanMan32 said:
How did you manage to get down to one red (purple, pink, whatever) bar? The car usually won't let it go lower than 2.
I have accomplished this feat. I was circling Burbank airport when it was very busy waiting to pick someone up. Stop and go at 5-15 mph. I had started the circling process with a full 8 bars of battery since the drive to the airport is all downhill.

Also, when stopped and waiting on another occasion the ICE didn't come on to recharge until the battery hit 1 bar.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
DanMan32 said:
I sat in a parking lot eating lunch in the car with the radio and A/C on. It dropped to 1 bar, then immediately started up the ICE to charge it back up. It charged to three bars, then went in a cycle of down-to-two-up-to-three until I was done with lunch.

hyperion said:
Do tou suppose the "Geek Squad" could get your car running when it quits before Toyota service could?
BLASPHEMY! :evil: Sorry, I run a competitor to Geek Squad local to Portland, Oregon. Yes, I drive the Prius to appointments. Yes, every once in a while, I get a customer who thinks they have called Geek Squad and asks where my bug is. I tell him a bug isn't geeky enough.

·
Registered
928 Posts
hyperion said:
Do tou suppose the "Geek Squad" could get your car running when it quits before Toyota service could?
hee, hee.

Yeah, sure, but that's probably the one place that would cost even more. :p

·
Registered
37 Posts
Number of computers in question.

The HV Batt has a computer which keeps the green bars in check and extending the life of the HV Batt. This computer is called the HV ECU.

The HV may not be considered a computer, but it takes a microprocessor, memory, communication bus, analog-to-digital convertor, etc. to read the battery condition and isolate any bad cell. Yes, you can detect down to a block of 6 cells what block is defective. The HV Batt has over 200 cells.

See if you can count the number of 'systems" from the pictures below.
HINT: Codes & CAN are not systems.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Question Asked: So how many computers do I tell my friends that there are in my 2005 Prius?

My answer would be 14 computer systems. The radio, nav, etc. or other options has nothing to do with the operation of the car. They could be defective or removed and the car will still function. Remove any one of the 14 systems and the car is dead.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That would be my count: 14 separate computer systems, plus whatever other computers are part of your options. In my 2005 Prius I have everything except NAV and bluetooth. But some options, for example SKS or VBS, may be using an already existing computer.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Well, I suppose the body, SKS, immobilizer ECUs would be required to get things going, as they are links in the chain to unlock and start the car, but they don't run the car. Actually, I don't think you HAVE to have the SKS. If you put the fob in the slot, only the immobilizer would be required for authentication. Not sure if you need the body ECU.

I would conceed that you would need nothing on the AVC network except probably the gateway ECU.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts