Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer "fried" the car's computer at the 10,000 mile service (the techs were "flashing" it) It took 9 days to locate and install the replacement. The car is running fine but I am almost certain - but cannot prove - that the odometer is now much higher than when I originally brought it in for service, by higher I mean around 1000 to 1200 miles. I know the car wasn't moved while at the dealers.
Is it possible that the dying computer zeroed the odometer and the techs just reset it to around 10,000 knowing that the car was there for that milestone service. Service mgr. says it's not possible for the computer to have reset the mileage.
if that's true then I am wrong in my memory of the mileage when I brought it in. and I wont bore you with the several reasons I believe something fishy happened.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
When the combination meter had to be replaced for the gas guage fix, the dealer had to notify where they ordered the part what the mileage was of the car, so it could be pre-programmed into the odometer.
If it were possible for the dealer to reprogram the odometer, this step would not be necessary.

So, I conclude the dealer is right, the odometer should not have been affected.

As for frying the CPU while flashing, seems like they did not take precautions for the aux battery draining, such as attaching a battery tender, which is in the TSB instructions.

Of course, dealers do record the mileage of the car when they take them in. Have a looksee.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts