Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, what is common between these two odd occurrences?
This morning about 2:30AM my Prius unlocked itself. I heard the beep but did not realize what had happened until I started to go to work.

Then on the way to work we stopped at TJ's. When we left the parking lot the A/C did not restart. The display indicated auto the fan speed indicated "M" but the fan did not run. I left the system in this mode for about two minutes (98 degrees here in Phoenix). I then turned off the A/C and pressed AUTO. All is well....

Jim

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Jim Biggs said:
Ok, what is common between these two odd occurrences?
This morning about 2:30AM my Prius unlocked itself. I heard the beep but did not realize what had happened until I started to go to work.

Then on the way to work we stopped at TJ's. When we left the parking lot the A/C did not restart. The display indicated auto the fan speed indicated "M" but the fan did not run. I left the system in this mode for about two minutes (98 degrees here in Phoenix). I then turned off the A/C and pressed AUTO. All is well....

Jim
Don't know about the AC issue, but for the unlocking; could you (or someone else in the house,) have perchance accidentally hit the unlock button on a keyfob? I know that in my pocket, I tend to hit it accidentally more often than I should. And if it was unlocked when you got to it the next morning, it WASN'T because you unlocked it at 2:30 am. If you unlock it remotely, then leave it, it will lock itself. Even if it was unlocked to start with. (Try it, turn the car off, get out, and press the UNLOCK button on the keyfob. Even though it was alredy unlocked, it will beep at you. Then a few seconds later, if you haven't opened a door, it will lock itself. I consider this a good feature, as it means if you accidentally hit unlock instead of lock, it will still end up locked; only after a delay rather than immediately.)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Fan speed shows 'M'? I take it this is a classic Prius?
May be having battery problems. The 12V one that is, the HV is disconnected when not in READY.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Fan speed shows 'M'? I take it this is a classic Prius?
May be having battery problems. The 12V one that is, the HV is disconnected when not in READY.
Classic Prius' AC controls are all conventional dials and buttons on the dashboard. Nothing marked "M". Nothing AC related on the MFD.
see page 2 of John's Info Sheet: http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-infosheet_classic.htm

If a Classic Prius is having battery problems, the remote lock/unlock buttons won't work, the interior lights are dim when you enter, and you may not get the Toyota splash screen when turning the car on (a "White Screen of Death")
Same for a 2004-? Prius, with the exception of Smart Entry & Smart Start not wanting to work.

Looking at my online manual for a 2004 Prius, the Fan Speed Control Switch(es) are MFD softbuttons for LO, *, *, M, *, *, HI. So it looks like the original post was asking about the fan setting being at the M (middle) fan setting (probably on manual control), but that the original poster did not notice any air movement.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More details

Sorry for not being more specific. 2005 Prius package 4 that is 11mos old 43k miles. It does seem two unrelated issues other than the fact that they are both computer driven issues.

I was able to semi duplicate the lock issue day before yesterday morning. Both Vivien and I held our FOB's in such a manor as to ensure that no button was accidentally being pushed. As we opened the front door of the house the Prius started beeping SEVERAL times. When it stopped, all doors were unlocked. It is as if the passenger door sensor is triggering and if the FOB is close enough it unlocks the car.

The a/c problem has not come back. I think I am happy to have the extended warranty.

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts