Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First- I LOVE my 2003 Prius. I have owned nothing but Toyotas all my life - same as all in my family. I know this is not normal for a Toyota. I have been stranded twice now in dangerous situations because my Prius simply died with no warning. Could I have a lemon? Both times, there was absolutely no warning or sense that something may be wrong. It simply would not do anything when I turned the key. It is the small battery that has "died" and they see no relation to the fact that the computer died and had to be replace 3 months ago. They say that I must buy an upgraded, larger battery at a whopping $284. Is this my only choice? Am I just having a run of bad luck or should I get rid of this car and drop my love affair with Toyota? I'm really torn. Any advice would be appreciated. (704) 807-9899
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,434 Posts
There's no reason to think there would be a connection b/w an ECU failure and the failure of a 5 year old 12v battery...that's about the normal life expectancy of any 12v auto battery.

Replacement cost for an OEM battery is high b/c of the design, but a search around the net will show you some other, cheaper, options if you're willing to do a little work yourself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
991 Posts
I must admit, that 12 volt has gotten its life out of it from what you're saying. It's just its time to change it out. Either get the OEM they're trying to push on you, or buy one and replace it yourself (I'm pretty sure this is an option from other threads I have seen, right?).

Now when you say your car died--I assume you mean you were just parked somewhere and went to restart and car wouldn't start? I killed my bf's brand new car battery by leaving the head lights on the BMW while I was gone for work, maybe gone for 10 hours. The battery was *not* jumpable, we had to stick it on a charger for about 30 minutes and then it worked. Car won't start, not a flicker of hope, wouldn't even choke.

My sister has killed a brand new car's battery in less than 4 hours, but that one we were at least able to jump. Something that cars do--absolutely nothing with no battery juice!

So don't see it as something that Toyota is doing that makes the car piss poor, or that you have a lemon. A dead battery is normal. Replacing it is just something you have to do for ANY car you own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
feeling better about prius

yes, I probably did overeact. I left out the entire story. I got stopped for speeding (first time in over 10 yrs.). I had driven about 45 min. when I was pulled over. I turned car off for the 10 minutes or so that it took the officer to write the ticket. Then, when I turned the key- nada. no lights on dash, no click, absolutely nothing. The officer, who seemed to know a bit about Priuses, said I should just have it towed. I called for tow but had to wait almost 2 hrs. It was upsetting and I guess I blamed it on my dear Prius. The thing that still worries me is that it acted just like it did when the computer died a few months ago and I just hope the dealer is correct is saying it's only the battery. The best advice I've gotten is to just plan to buy a new small battery in about 4 years before this one goes bad. Since being stranded is more of an issue to me than that high cost of their suggested larger replacement, I'll just go with what they offer. Thanks to all on these forums for your experience/advice!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,560 Posts
Re: feeling better about prius

jmrwarren said:
yes, I probably did overeact. I left out the entire story. I got stopped for speeding (first time in over 10 yrs.). I had driven about 45 min. when I was pulled over. I turned car off for the 10 minutes or so that it took the officer to write the ticket. Then, when I turned the key- nada. no lights on dash, no click, absolutely nothing. The officer, who seemed to know a bit about Priuses, said I should just have it towed. I called for tow but had to wait almost 2 hrs. It was upsetting and I guess I blamed it on my dear Prius. The thing that still worries me is that it acted just like it did when the computer died a few months ago and I just hope the dealer is correct is saying it's only the battery. The best advice I've gotten is to just plan to buy a new small battery in about 4 years before this one goes bad. Since being stranded is more of an issue to me than that high cost of their suggested larger replacement, I'll just go with what they offer. Thanks to all on these forums for your experience/advice!!
I'd be more thinking along the lines that the computer was fine the first time, and it was the battery... But I see conspirators behind every blade of grass
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,161 Posts
Re: feeling better about prius

melgish said:
I'd be more thinking along the lines that the computer was fine the first time, and it was the battery... But I see conspirators behind every blade of grass
I'm thinking that too.
Dome lights rely completely on the 12V power supply when set to ON (as opposed to DOOR or OFF), and as long as no fuses are blown or bad electrical connections, the battery would be completely to blame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
991 Posts
Re: feeling better about prius

DanMan32 said:
melgish said:
I'd be more thinking along the lines that the computer was fine the first time, and it was the battery... But I see conspirators behind every blade of grass
I'm thinking that too.
Dome lights rely completely on the 12V power supply when set to ON (as opposed to DOOR or OFF), and as long as no fuses are blown or bad electrical connections, the battery would be completely to blame.
Yeah.. even ten minutes waiting for Mr. Officer to write a ticket with the dome lights on (was it dark? :p) could do it I suppose.. especially if it was near-death already (the battery).
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top