the big triangle
abs lite
parking brake lite
and the exclamation error on the main screen

it seems to completly shut down the front brakes
as i still have parking brakes
i unpluged the battery to clear the error
and went on my way
(that's what the service manager at toyota told me to do)

2001 prius
118000km

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm sorry you're having all these horrific problems and I hope your next post tells us how it is all better now!

And thank you for convincing me to purchase the extended warranty.
(for $985, not $2050 that my dealer wanted)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Of course not, as your rhetorical question implies, but what we're hearing about from this poor soul is not wear and tear, but system failure. If that isn't warrantied, we're all in trouble.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well, he said " caused by a worn out hub and berring "(sic). I knew someone who had an oil pump wear out, causing an engine failure. The insurance company refused to pay for the engine repair. They eventually relented after a long battle.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I see what you mean.

But the essence of a complex machine warranty is to guard against parts wearing out before the end of their design life expectancy. Everything wears out eventually when moving parts are involved.

But Toyota is known for not playing the planned obsolescence game, which is why I trust that this sort of issue, IF under warranty, would be resolved as a reasonable person would expect. 100k miles would have done it in this case.

·
Registered
548 Posts
lindavid said:
But Toyota is known for not playing the planned obsolescence game, which is why I trust that this sort of issue, IF under warranty, would be resolved as a reasonable person would expect. 100k miles would have done it in this case.
Ever hear of the engine sludge issue and Toyota? They were complete bastards about covering repairs which happened with some of their V6 and I4 engines where sludge was building up (due to a design flaw, altho Toyota still continues to deny this). So don't expect them to always be perfect...

·
Registered
33 Posts
No, I wasn't aware. Thanks for the head's up. I've had trouble-free Toyota experience with 82 Tercel (driven until 1997) and two late 20th century Camry's (1997 - stolen, 2000)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
as far the caused by hub and berring
that's what i was told
but as we now know since the problem has reoccurred

And thank you for convincing me to purchase the extended warranty.
(for $985, not $2050 that my dealer wanted)
glad i can help

the service manager at (laurie) @ toyota seems genuinely concerned
and is looking into it
my fingers are crossed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts