Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are considering a change in wheel and/or tire size check the following web site for accurate info.

http://www.miata.net/cgi-bin/tirescgi

I ran a comparison between Prius factory installed tires, [Tire A.] and tires which will fit on a 17 inch wheel, [Tire B.]

As you can see the change will create a 6/10ths of one percent error in both your speedometer &. trip odometer readings. This is a barely barely perceptible error which will create a mis-read of about 6 miles in one thousand miles of driving.

Tire A. Tire B.

Tire Size: 185/65-15 215/45-17

Sidewall Height: 4.7in. 4.7in.

Radius: 12.2in. 12.3in.

Diameter: 24.5in. 24.6in.

Circumfrence: 76.9in. 77.3in.

Revs. Per Mile: 819 824

% Difference 0.0% 0.6%

Arizona Charlie

·
Registered
18 Posts
Something to consider BEFORE you change

Hello all, I know everyone likes the look of the BIG wheel, small tire combinations on a lot of vehicles, but I came across this article in MotorTrend regarding some of the lesser known drawbacks to doing this.

http://motortrend.com/features/consumer/112_0405_wheel/

You may want to think twice before you change what engineers have already spent much time optimizing ;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
The most significant issue you will encounter by increasing the contact patch that much is you will cause stability control to possibly over-correct when it goes active. This assumes you have VSC. You will likely also increase stopping distances in ABS when you are on deformable or low coefficient surfaces. You are changing the vehicle dynamic response significantly with that kind of change.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You couldn't pay me enough for me ever to put a low-profile tire/wheel combo on any car ever again.

On pothole hit, you are out for a rim and a tire. Two rims and two tires if you straightlined it. My last car had factory low-profiles, and I went through more tires than oil changes. Never again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts