Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I need some input again... been awhile since I've had a chance to read or post here (Daddy's holding baby at the moment -yay!)..

:::southern drawl on:::
Heah in the forma capital of the Confederacy, known as Richmond, we have been havin' a cold snap of late. We even had a few inches of cold white stuff that shut ever'thin dayun. Durin' this time of temperature depra'vation, my lovely lil' Prius has taken to only going about 40 MPG. I'm ratha distressed, as this just doesn't seem like the range it ought to be in.

So I'm a-askin: Do you northern folk (or northwestern plains) find your MPG droppin' this low during the darker months? Please advise, so I can take this info to my local lovely Prius dealer.

:::drawl off:::

Thank you kindly,

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Ohh-hh-hhh-hh... talk lak that agin, darlin'...

Ahem. Anyway, check your t!re pressures; are they low? Here in Dallas (The Lower Midwest, Where The East Peters Out) it was in the teens recently, and we were getting about 44 MPG on five mile trips. It was necessary to re-inflate the t!res. (Periodic reminder: t!re pressures should be checked with the t!res "cold", meaning that the car has not been driven more than one mile in the previous hour. Pressures should be checked when the average outside temp changes more than about 20'F/10'C.)

·
Registered
289 Posts
SnakePuncess said:
So I'm a-askin: Do you northern folk (or northwestern plains) find your MPG droppin' this low during the darker months? Please advise, so I can take this info to my local lovely Prius dealer.
Bonnie -

I'm right up the road from you in Stafford Cty, getting the same deal. My wife currently has the Prius and goes 3 miles to the daycare, then 1/2 mile to work, then after work another 1/2 mile to daycare, then 2 miles to gymnastics, then 4 miles home... all those short trips in the cold are really puttin' a hurt on the mileage, as she's down to 34MPG.

In my commutes the car has a chance to heat up and stay running (53 miles each way up to Tysons) so the MPG doesn't take such a hit, should stay in the 40s.

Good luck,
Jeff

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
SnakePuncess said:
OK, I need some input again... been awhile since I've had a chance to read or post here (Daddy's holding baby at the moment -yay!)..

:::southern drawl on:::
Heah in the forma capital of the Confederacy, known as Richmond, we have been havin' a cold snap of late. We even had a few inches of cold white stuff that shut ever'thin dayun. Durin' this time of temperature depra'vation, my lovely lil' Prius has taken to only going about 40 MPG. I'm ratha distressed, as this just doesn't seem like the range it ought to be in.

:::drawl off:::

Thank you kindly,
We have just a tad over 3 hours of daylight today (or so it seems) and we are in the middle of a big warm up into the 20's today! There was a curious hyphen in front of the temp number on Saturday. My last tank ended at 38.6 indicated. Should get back above 40 on this tank. Winter averages about 42 for me last year. Count yer blessins darlin'. :wink:

·
Registered
922 Posts
You all have it good!!! Stop complaining. I'm sitting at 20mpg with 3 pips down and only 36 miles accumulated. Ten minute warm ups, very short commutes, defrosters on, and LOUSY mileage. But things will improve. I refuse to worry about mileage until March.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
evander said:
Ten minute warm ups
If by warmup you mean the car sitting there with the ICE running, there's your problem. Don't do that, it isn't necessary. If your commute is that short, you can deal with the cold for 10 minutes until you get to your destination. Otherwise, you're just wasting fuel.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
You don't understand Dan. There are places where if you take off your gloves and make the mistake of touching the wheel your hand will stick to it and the warmup is just common sense and a well worth the fuel sacrifice.
That's probably why the remote start option is being built into every GM car next year as it has become the number one option desired by owners in the north.
Besides, "it couldn't hurt," and you don't have to give up the pleasure of driving a car just because it is a hybrid and you want to milk every gallon of gas you can out of it.

·
Registered
922 Posts
DanMan32 said:
evander said:
Ten minute warm ups
If by warmup you mean the car sitting there with the ICE running, there's your problem. Don't do that, it isn't necessary. If your commute is that short, you can deal with the cold for 10 minutes until you get to your destination. Otherwise, you're just wasting fuel.
It's not the cold, Dan, it's the sheet of frost on every window. That light frost isn't easy to scrape. I agree that driving a cold car is tolerable, but lately the frost inhibits all vision. I have to defrost for 10 minutes and my commute is half that time. Should warm up to 38 tomorrow though!!! :lol:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would like to believe that the warm-air intake hack
detailed at http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/warmair/
is actually doing the right thing... if I keep the
cabin heat demand fairly low and manage it well,
which is sometimes difficult when dealing with a
fogging windshield, I get reasonably fast warmups and
so far this winter the mileage hasn't taken too much
of a ding. Of course right now I'm visiting FL and
won't be able to collect more data until I get back north,
but a redirected intake is a fairly easy mod and
at some point I'll get more hard figures on the
difference it makes.
_H*

·
Registered
71 Posts
same here in New Joisey

My MPG has dropped from around 45 to the high 30's with the cold. When the window are lightly frosted and its 20o outside, I can lose .3 mpg getting to the end of my street. I'm on slow roads to work, but if I DO get on a freeway, I can return to the 40's.

Frankly, I don't know how people say they get in the 50s all of the time. I'm up to 10,000 miles and still haven't seen that as an average.

Happy Chanukah, Merry Christmas, and Happy Kwanzaa to all of my Prius brothers and sisters!

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Re: same here in New Joisey

drtravel47 said:
Frankly, I don't know how people say they get in the 50s all of the time. I'm up to 10,000 miles and still haven't seen that as an average.
Easy. Drive an average of 45MPH (55 max) for 20+ miles. Stops at traffic lights allowd, but should be no closer than an average of 3 miles apart.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I set the cruise control at 65 and do mostly highway driving. When in the city, I drive the speed limit but accelerate and decelerate as slowly as possible in a way that doesn't impede traffic. I live in CA so the climate is mild. Doing just these things I average 52-54 every tank. I suspect that following the speed limit and anticipating stops and slow downs are the two most driving related factors.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts