Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving early this a.m and noticed this new warning light on the dashboard. I pulled over to check the manual and discovered this light only appears when the outside temp is less than 37 degrees and goes off automatically when greater than 37 degrees. The temp is already displayed on the info screen so why does the light go on? Does the colder temp affect the hybrid system? Living in the deep south I don't expect this to be much of a problem but I am curious about this unique warning light.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I've taken it to be a general 'it's cold, drive carefully' warning.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is not a Prius-only feature. I've seen it in other cars as well. It's just telling you to drive extra carefully because there may be ice on the road. -- A good warning for those of us that live where it rarely snows or ices.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Yarok said:
This is not a Prius-only feature. I've seen it in other cars as well. It's just telling you to drive extra carefully because there may be ice on the road. -- A good warning for those of us that live where it rarely snows or ices.
But an annoying pain in the butt for those of us who have to look at it for the next 6 months. :?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Maybe to make it fair, the prius should also have a heat warning, so you know not to get out of your car when it's 105 degrees in the summer here -- lest you melt! :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe to make it fair, the prius should also have a heat warning, so you know not to get out of your car when it's 105 degrees in the summer here -- lest you melt!
Then I'd be dealing with a heat warning from April to October!!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I think the cold-weather warning is like signs that read "bridge my freeze before road surface" warning. It's there to indcate that the road may have ice, and you should be 'extra alert'

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
melgish said:
I think the cold-weather warning is like signs that read "bridge my freeze before road surface" warning. It's there to indcate that the road may have ice, and you should be 'extra alert'
Not to beat a dead horse (that doesn't even sound like fun) but it will in no way help me to be "extra allert" for the next six months. Snow is slippery. Black ice (if you don't live North you don't need to know) comes at -20* F. Perhaps if it only came on at that transition freezing temp and went back out as it got colder.

I know, you all think this is just an underlying rant on winter in Minnesota. You wouldn't be far off. :roll:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. But I do feel a caution light on the dashboard should relate to problems with the car not with the weather. Perhaps this should have been incorporated as an alert on the touchscreen, like the add fuel notice when your gas tank is running low.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hep said:
But an annoying pain in the butt for those of us who have to look at it for the next 6 months. :?
Yeah...I'm just hoping that they have factored in the fact that it would be on a hell of a lot of time in some places (like here in Rochester, NY) when they determined what bulb life they would need...Or, on second thought, maybe I am sorta hoping that they didn't! ;)

·
Registered
928 Posts
lowspeed said:
kvcobbs said:
Shucks, I was hoping I'd find something showing how to lower the temp it comes on at. Oh Well....
I think the guys in the shop can set it to whatever you ask for.
You say that with more authority than you've established. But you could establish authority by posting the how to. Hint, hint.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts