Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prius friends,
After starting my '04 yesterday morning (cold engine) I sat for a minute or two in "P" with the parking brake applied and the ICE idling. During this time I noticed that the engine idle sounded a bit rough or irregular. I could also feel an occasional momentary shudder, as though the car wanted to go forward. It was very slight, but definitely noticable. The car seems to be operating perfectly, but there are so many new sounds and sensations associated with this vehicle that I'm not sure what is normal and what isn't. Anyone else experience anything like this? Is there anything wrong?
John1701a, I'm shining your name in the night sky ;-)

Moo :)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
The rough idle/shudder thing seems pretty common under certain circumstances. I've noticed the same things from time to time, then the next time around (and most times) it's just as smooth as a baby's butt.

-evan

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
efusco said:
The rough idle/shudder thing seems pretty common under certain circumstances. I've noticed the same things from time to time, then the next time around (and most times) it's just as smooth as a baby's butt.

-evan
Evan,
I've just returned home after a day of running errands. Whatever I was noticing before wasn't detectable today. Odd. I'm very curious about what this might be.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
john1701a said:
Is that like the "Bat Sign" for me?
Precisely! Thanks for your response.

john1701a said:
What you are feeling should go away after primary break-in is complete.

At 2,500 miles and having switched to synthetic oil, mine is smoother now.
I'll keep my ears and eyes on this and will report back to the group.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Is there a big diference in warm-up time with a Prius that was parked in a garage vs. one that wasn't, on a cold night?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brian said:
Is there a big diference in warm-up time with a Prius that was parked in a garage vs. one that wasn't, on a cold night?
I haven't done any careful comparisons. However, FWIW, I was in the garage when I noticed the sensations described at the start of this thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts