Toyota Prius Forum banner

coins in cup holder--stuck

13K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Astrowoman 
#1 ·
OK, my fault, but my husband and I put coins in the flip cup holder on the console. I closed it, and now it won't open. Tapped the receptacle all over the place to dislodge apparent stuck coin. I even pulled out the drawer underneath. Nothing works. Any ideas short of embarassing myself at the dealer? Thanks

#3 ·
Thanks. Even though my problem is with the front cup holder, I assume the advice still holds. (No pun intended). Can't believe someone else had the same problem. Shouldn't we Prius owners be a bit smarter?

#5 ·
I suggest it's a trip to the dealer for you. Before getting to the four screws the manual states: Remove console panel sub-assy upper
a, pull the console sub-assy upper upwards
and then disengage the 2 claws.
b: Disengage the 4 clips and then remove the
the console panel sub-assembly.

(1) Remove the 4 screws and then the
installment panel cupholder.

#7 ·
I used to keep my coins in the slide out drawer... then I realized there's no way to pull the drawer completly out... Like if you got no fingernails to speak of, and you want to pour the coins into your hand rather than fight with them individually...

Now I keep my coins in a ziploc sandwich bag in the slide out drawer

#8 ·
my husband keeps coins/tokens in 35mm film plastic canisters, stored in the center console somewhere...

(me, if I need change, I just pull out my wallet from my pocket... so no suggestions from me. The last time I got something stuck in my 2001's cup holder, it was some tissues. Opened the cupholder 1/2 way, got some tweezers/forceps from work, and pulled it out from underneath the cupholder.)

#9 ·
evander said:
Thanks DanMan, for taking the time to check this out. Perhaps it's time to buy a tollway IPASS transponder to avoid coins in the car. Eva
Those are awsome! Some plazas have bypass lanes so you don't even have to slow down! Doesn't have recurring costs (you don't lose any toll balance due to inactivity), so it is worth it. At least it is that way here in Florida.

#10 ·
melgish said:
I used to keep my coins in the slide out drawer... then I realized there's no way to pull the drawer completly out... Like if you got no fingernails to speak of, and you want to pour the coins into your hand rather than fight with them individually...

Now I keep my coins in a ziploc sandwich bag in the slide out drawer
No, you can completely remove the drawer. I did this when I routed the volume control for my sub into the drawer. You pull it out and, IIRC, push in the sides as you angle it up to avoid scratching the plactic cover in front of it. It came out and went back in very easily.

DGStan

#11 ·
Here in Illinois, in order to encourage IPASS (and probably cut down on paying out personnel at booths), tolls by cash have gone up to 80 cents while the IPASS account is only charged 40 per toll.

#15 ·
Diana_04Prius said:
The one thing I miss is a coin holder. All my other cars had one.
I figured that's what the little tray in the center console was supposed to be for... so where do y'all put your CDs? The center console seems to be shaped just exactly not QUITE right for this, the one way they go in, the little tray doesn't fit overtop quite right.

#17 ·
Hey everyone, I enjoyed all the coin talk and appreciated the suggestions. Today I managed to open the little cup compartment (not easily, mind you.) There's this one quarter still stuck on the side, so for the time being, no closing the receptacle. And I managed this without tilting my new car. Never thought of putting coins in the compartment beneath the radio. All these secret compartments are clever. Anyone use the one near the dome light?

#22 ·
Astrowoman said:
bshef said:
I'm only keeping CD's in the player for now......!
Geez, you folks are so literal! The CASES, where do you keep the CASES? 8)

I don't recommend putting coins in the sunglass holder...
I found the drawer under the armrest quite convenient for CD's. But I don't keep them in the cases, I actually store them in CD sleeves, which reduces the space required by quite a bit while keeping the CD's protected.

#23 ·
Astrowoman said:
Geez, you folks are so literal! The CASES, where do you keep the CASES? 8)
Leave the regular cases at home... buy a box of the slimline cases for in the car... you can jam a six pack of those into the space under the player

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.