Toyota Prius Forum banner

Coastal Tech Sucks

8K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  ltu1542hvy 
#1 ·
After 3 months of waiting for the mod kit... (Which i even forogt i ordered at this pont) I recieve the kit ... and the instructions are so unclear.

The pictures are fuzzy.

The colors in the instructions doesnt match the actual colors of the mod.

so i call.... and a lady answers... she seemed to be confused ... doesn't really understand what it means that the instructions mention different colors then whats actually in the kit.

If they dont call in 24 hours. i'm going to cotest the charge with the CC company.

#2 ·
Hang on folks, here we go again... :cry:

Can we not just add to the FAQ that some people think Coastal Tech is the worst thing since the Ford Pinto and other people think it is the best thing since sliced bread and HAVE DONE WITH IT??????????????????????

Sorry, I know, I'm just incorriging them... :twisted:

#4 ·
I don't know which mod you mean.

I pre-ordered the Nav mod and now have the actual order placed; expect in in a coupla weeks perhaps. It's a plug-in installation, so thatr is probably not it.

EV mod arrived, was a snap to install, and the instructions were perfectly clear.

Do you mean the video mod? I haven't seen that one yet.

#12 ·
I ordered an EV mod from Coastal recently and recieved it within a couple of weeks (and I'm in Canada!). Their instructions (and colours) were clear and concise and my install went smooth.
Needless to say, I'm a happy customer and I'll probably being ordering more mods from them in the future.
Keep up the good work Coastal Dave!

#13 ·
Hey Guffman, I'm installing the mod now. How do you push the orange wire all the way in? I still have a bit of metal showing and it won't budge. (also, the wire taps were hard, I almost busted the wires :cry: )

#14 ·
I used a very small jewellers flathead screwdriver to push on the edge of the metal clip where it joins the orange wire. If your screwdriver is small enough, it will fit right down the slot along with the orange wire, allowing you to get the clip and wire in deep. Also make sure that little white bar is pushed out about an 1/8th of an inch, to allow for the wire to make it all the way down.
It's definitely the trickiest part of the install... good luck!

#15 ·
Actually, moving that little white bar an 1/8th of an inch may be overstating it... it was probably closer to 1/16th of an inch that it comes out - just enough to give room for the wire to slide past. Then push the white bar back in flush once the wire is in place.

Be careful not to do what I did... I was so thrilled at getting the wires tapped and the orange wire in place so smoothly, I wanted to test it immediately before I put the dash back together. I tried powering up the car, BUT had forgot to put the grey plug with all the wires back into its slot - doh! (Coastal has a highlighted line in the instructions to NOT do this)
No damage though - other than a minor heart attack when all the gear indicators on the dash continued flashing with squares around them, and the car wouldn't start! Once I realized what I had done, I plugged in the grey wire unit, held my breath and everything (including the EV) worked fine.

#17 ·
Guffman said:
I ordered an EV mod from Coastal recently and recieved it within a couple of weeks (and I'm in Canada!). Their instructions (and colours) were clear and concise and my install went smooth.
Needless to say, I'm a happy customer and I'll probably being ordering more mods from them in the future.
Keep up the good work Coastal Dave!
I ordered this kit in April and haven't heard from them at all. I had guessed that being in Canada added to the challenge of completing the order for them, knowing how Coastal Dave has some challenges with communication, which I assumed spilled over to paperwork too.

But I guess it doesn't work that way... sigh. I've also ordered separately three other items from them as well, and will also order their iPod kit when it comes out.

Anyhow - glad you got your kit and it's working well!

#21 ·
KT Phil, You're right that my first order or pre-order was for the nav defeat. Then separately I ordered the Hitch, then EV switch and DC outlet override and some cabin filters.

Anyhow - I know he makes good things and eventually I will get them, unless he gets too frustrated with running a business and dealing with clients and moves on to other things.

#22 ·
Ordered a set of mudflaps from Coastal Dave and pre-ordered the nav kit, the viewtech and the backup camera a few months ago. Got a shipping confirmation for the mudflaps the next day, and a few days later they arrived. Still waiting on the rest of the stuff. Today I ordered the EV switch and the bluetooth kit, and once he starts taking orders for his schweeeet iPod mod I will be ordering it as well.

Waiting with anticipation like a little kid before Christmas for the electronic goodies to show up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.