Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vaporware.

In the early days of computers, manufacturers would advertise computer software or hardware products which were not actually available for sale and/or delivery. It was a common practice to tout a product that would soon be available but would not come on the market for six or more months, and sometimes never came on the market for sale. The purpose of this premature advertising was to excite the consumer and keep their attention away from other companies which were developing similar products.

I ordered the auto door lock kit, the power outlet mod, and the navigation kit mod from Coastal Electronic Technologies (coastaltech) over two months ago. I have not yet received one of these products.

I wrote an email to Dave and Kelly asking for a response which was to include a delivery date for the products I had ordered. I also left a message on their 800 number. I have never received a response from them.

I strongly suggest that CoastalDave quit ‘BS’ - ing or misleading us about their products and also to cease advertising products which are not available.

When the stuff Dave is manufacturing is actually available for delivery, that is the time to let us know about it. Also, it is a terrible practice to not return customer phone calls or answer customer inquiries.

I suggest that the moderator of the PriusChat and Priusonline web sites ban Dave from advertising his Vaporware products unless and until they are actually available for delivery.

Arizona Charlie

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Well I've been waiting since April for th EV mod. Fair enough, it's out of stock but at least say so on the website. Also, now it's in stock (someone received theirs) but.... where is it?!?! I know he's busy inventing stuff but please focus on Prius stuff first, then GM stuff later (e.g. the video controller). Yet again, the pre-order for the nav defeat and video controller have come and gone. Doesn't it say it's available now?

Come on Dave, we know you're busy but please please please let us know what's going on somewhere, somehow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I've noticed that Coastal Dave has a thread about his new Highlander hybrid. When someone asked a question about a product from him, the response was:

Many are interested in the new Highlander and are not reading to hear about something to buy or an 800 number. There is a Private Message button which should be used for this circumstance and I will be happy to respond in that manner : )
I haven't done business with him, nor do I have any need to. And it makes sense to not necessarily harangue him in another thread. But he did suggest to PM him, and maybe you could look up one of his msgs and do just that...

Cheers,
Envoy

·
Registered
224 Posts
Funny that you haven't received the power mod...as I understand it, they have lots of those in stock. When I ordered my products from their website last month (powermod, car bra, A/C filter, and EV switch), I actually got a personal call from Kelly to confirm the order and a verbal notice that the EV switch would not be available for some time. The other stuff shipped the same day and arrived at my house about three days later.

You might have better luck calling the non-800 number on the website, I hear that one is usually answered quickly.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I've tried everything. E-mail - no response. non 800 number "I'm sorry, the number you have dialed is unavailable at the moment. Please try again later" Note I'm in Canada. So I decide to try the 800 number. 3 times I got the answer machine. I left a message once but the answer machine cut me off 10 seconds into recording.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Please do not think that using internet jargon to place a screaming, cursing post on an otherwise fun hybrid chat group, is in any way being looked upon as even remotely reasonable. In fact it is quite sad. Coastal Dave as I am conveniently referred to, is a name that friendly people have used over the years when talking to me personally on the phone and occasionally on chat groups. I supported the hybrid idea and purchased a Prius as one of the first groups of Toyota customers in the country to receive one. I then made a product for my wife so that she could drive long distances in the Prius (remote cruise control) and my dealership liked it so much they encouraged me to offer it to others and open up a website so they could send customers there. Another person asked if I could make time to put together a trunk opener for his handicapped wife. I did so at no charge and then made some units available to others (again through a simple website). Over the years, many have sent requests and when time permitted, I put together small kits and provided detailed instructions so others could recreate some of the changes I had made for my personal car and some of the projects I had made for others. I have always been open and preceded any project I was working on by putting up pictures and now even videos, showing what was possible and many times just to chronicle events as I get lots of mail asking simply "What have you been up to lately?" I have continued this practice through the years and have continued my support of hybrids by purchasing a second and now am on my third. I have not advertised on any group or anywhere for that matter, as you have incorrectly shouted in your filthy post and I have been honest and fair with everyone I have done business with. You have not purchased anything and have not been charged for anything, so I encourage you to remove yourself from the preorder group which was created for previous customers, and set about discovering the enormous costs and logistics of creating small run custom engineering products for a unique automobile for yourself. I am sure you will find that it is either a foolish endeavor as several have discovered, or, as I do, a service and business that I perform because I want to do and will continue to do because I wish to support the hybrid movement. We are currently doubling in size to handle the new iPod and video units we have brought out and have been working to include the Prius (at great expense and time) in these projects. After your post, I am even more encouraged to remember the previous customers who have supported us and helped us to make many of these changes possible. I will continue to offer former customers special deals and ordering arrangements and hope that I always feel comfortable posting new engineering projects on the website so that others can see what is coming.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
While I do not dismiss the frustration that many have expressed, I will say my experiences have been much more positive.

I pre-ordered the Nav kit many months ago, and had been wondering when it would ship. Today, in looking at the latest website pages, I can see that the kit has changed slightly (for the better with the BT option) and will start shipping soon.

Other items I have ordered (bra, hitch, EV kit) have arrived, and are as advertised. The instructions included are clear and well-illustrated.

I have been eager for these items, but not in a rush, so I am satisfied. Sure, communication could be better (it did take several attempts for me to connect via phone), but I expect the company has heard and will try to rectify what it can.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Coastal Dave said:
We are currently doubling in size to handle the new iPod and video units we have brought out and have been working to include the Prius (at great expense and time) in these projects
Thanks Dave =). Perhaps you could have a small news board on the website to post the latest news that's happening around the house? I'm eagerly waiting for the EV mod and in my previous post, yeah I couldn't contact you with regards to stock or ETA. Any word that you can say, even if it's here, to tell us what's happening would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
133 Posts
About 2 weeks ago I called Coastal Tech and got Kelly on the first ring - told her I was interested in the Nav mod w/the new bluetooth function. She told me 6 to 8 weeks. I gave them my credit card and I will keep the forum advised when I receive it. Can't wait actually, the bluetooth function is the biggie for me. Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have personally never had any problem with 'coastal dave' or his products. He has always been kind and courteous. It is my understanding that his is a labor of love and not his main job. If you can get the same product elsewhere and do not feel you have been treated well I suggest you take your trade elsewhere.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Dave,

Whilst a lot of people have been happy with your service and products, the fact remains that there are a lot of people who are unhappy with the service you are currently providing. You only have to look at past posts here and on Priuschat.

At the end of the day, 90% of those complaints come down to lack of communication. I placed and order via your website for the navi "fix" as soon as you announced it, some 5 or 6 months ago. I never heard a thing from you, neither a confirmation of order or reply to later questions. I felt totally ignored. Eventually I cancelled the order due to this, but again with no reply from you. At least set up an automated reply to acknowledge receipt of the e-mail and orders!

You are busy we understand that. Maybe you have too many things on your plate. You are loosing customers, good will and respects a result, which is a shame.

If you are unable to fill current orders, what is the point of developing new products as Im sure a lot of people wont order them due to the current problems.

So 2 things to sort out.
1. communication
2. product delivery.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
And deleting complete threads that happen to be critical isn't too ethical either. If there's verbal abuse on a post, fine, delete it. But not one that is legitemitely critical.

You may be honest, but you are not fair.

·
Registered
319 Posts
KTPhil said:
I pre-ordered the Nav kit many months ago, and had been wondering when it would ship. Today, in looking at the latest website pages, I can see that the kit has changed slightly (for the better with the BT option) and will start shipping soon.
Well, I'm usually alone in the car, so me getting it at all is a violation of the intent of the unit, but the new total price of $149 including Bluetooth doesn't encourage me to become a road hazard.

I guess the driving public will be glad I'm a cheapskate...

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I also support Coastal Dave.

I have the door-lock unit, the EV mod, and the XM unit.

All came in due time, and were complete with instructions. The XM kit was the most challenging to install, but was worth every penny, moment of time, and the DNA I left in the dashboard.

All I need now is a door-UNLOCK unit :), and the NAV kit.

·
Registered
370 Posts
BIF said:
the DNA I left in the dashboard.
You ain't kidding. There are some sharp freakin' edges under there! I sliced the heck out of my hand when installing my home-brewed EV and speed sensor defeat switches.

Just to keep it on-topic, I wanted to buy Coastal's kit but they never returned my email or responded to the message I left on their machine. I figured if he didn't want my money, I wasn't going to insist.

DGStan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Coastal Dave & Vaporware

It saddens me to see a fellow Businessman being lamb basted. While I do not know Dave nor have I purchased any of his products yet. I can imagine that he has been slammed with orders for his products recently with the intense popularity of the Prius and Demand is far exeeding supply. As a Business Owner myself and being extremely busy @ times orders do fall through the cracks. I'm not suggesting that this happens to Dave but it does happen to me. My customers know how busy I am and patiently remind me when I faulter.

From one Business man to another, Keep up the good work Dave and fight the good fight. You offer great products that I'm certain are worth waiting for.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Re: Coastal Dave & Vaporware

kb5jsu said:
It saddens me to see a fellow Businessman being lamb basted.
Would that be with, or without the rosemary and mint jelly? ;)

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Re: Coastal Dave & Vaporware

kb5jsu said:
Sanny said:
kb5jsu said:
It saddens me to see a fellow Businessman being lamb basted.
Would that be with, or without the rosemary and mint jelly? ;)
Jalapeno Jelly. I'm from the Southwest!
We used to have a chain here that served Jalapeno poppers with jalapeno jelly. We all thought it was a joke, until we tried it. That stuff was really good!

Too bad "Hops" is closed now. :cry:

EDIT: Come to think of it, they went out of business about 2 years after they stopped serving the poppers and jelly. Hmmmmm.....a lesson for all you restaurant owners. :roll:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts