Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently noticed that when I go over speed bumps, the front end has a clunk in it as the suspension drops and hits full extension. It sounds like something is loose or a rubber bushing is missing. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

It is a minor annoyance, as the front end seems to be OK in normal driving. I only hear the clunk on big speed bumps.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Phoenix said:
I have recently noticed that when I go over speed bumps, the front end has a clunk in it as the suspension drops and hits full extension. It sounds like something is loose or a rubber bushing is missing. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

It is a minor annoyance, as the front end seems to be OK in normal driving. I only hear the clunk on big speed bumps.
I've not noticed any clunking, but will give it a close listen next time over some speed bumps. Even if the front end seems normal, if it were me, I would take it to my dealer for an inspection immediately--just to be safe.
Drive happy,
Moo :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Since not all speed bumps (or cars) are created equal, it would be interesting to compare your results on specific speed bumps (your housing complex? local school?) with results of other drivers & different cars. How big are the speed bumps? At what speed do you get the clunk? Do other drivers get the same clunk in their car?
I for one do not hear any such clunk, and would be concerned if I did.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Front-end Clunk

My Prius (2002) was due for the 30k check-up, so had the dealer check out the clunk. They couldn't see anything wrong, but ordered a strut for the left front. No spares in stock, so I am waiting for it to come in.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Front-end Clunk

The dealer replaced the cartridge in the left front strut yesterday. The invoice says it was leaking, and the bearing race was damaged (also replaced). The clunk seems to be gone this morning.

I also recalled that the steering also wanders a little when accelerating through a long left turn, like when you are turning on a left turn arrow at an intersection. It feels a little like when you are trying to pass a bigger boat, and you pass through the larger boats wake (for you boating fans out there). The front end wallows a little and seems to try to take a different line through the curve. You have to compensate a little to adjust to the odd steering wheel pull.

I mentioned this to the service rep and he talked to the Toyota factory rep that happened to be in the shop yesterday. Now, I am awaiting a new steering rack. The factory rep looked at the rack on the Prius and said that the end seals were cracked and he thought the rack should be replaced.

Has anyone else had front-end problems? 30,000 miles seems early to be having these kinds of problems, especially when I thought that this was probably nothing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
front end - rack problems

This sounds like the "classic" problem spoken about intently some time ago. Do a search on rack, steering. You may find some very interesting comments.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts