Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are debating between a 2007 Pkg 5 or Pkg 6. We're expecting our first child this summer, and unsure if cloth or leather would be the wiser choice of seat covering for a baby (then toddler, etc.). Any input on material quality/durability would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Its easier to clean spilt milk off of leather.. haha. Something surprising did happen to me one day. My chinese food in my back seats leaked onto the seats, but it didn't "seep in" (It was in the car for maybe 40 minutes). I was able to clean up the mess and not have a stain.. But I think any child car will get crazy after awhile regardless. Leather makes me slip and sweat! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Decision 2007

We went with package 2, but had the leather upgrade for an extra $1,200. The aftermarket leather looks and feels great. Cannot tell it is aftermarket at all. :idea:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Leather Pros:
1) Wears better - you don't get those wear stains or ragged edges after a few years and it doesn't stretch as much so you won't get those wrinkles.
2) Easier to clean
3) Easier to adjust yourself while in the seat. I fidget, sorry.
4) Wrinkles clothes less - leather has less fiction
5) Less static build up
6) Worth more at trade-in

Leather Cons:
1) Is hot in the summer and cold in the winter to the touch (although if you have leather touch or get close to your skin in the winter you may have other problems with your dress code for the weather :shock: )
2) Seat cushions or coverings may not stay on as well.
3) If you don't buckle up properly may be more of a safety problem because you'll slide.
4) If you don't adjust your seat properly you may end up sliding to an uncomfortable position.

I have both leather seats in my Avalon and cloth ones in my Prius. I end up sweating in either more so because of the foam cushion rather than the material.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cloth

I had leather in my Subaru, But it gets too hot in summer and cold in winter.
Although they were heated, its just a pain.

Cloth is better EXCEPT if you have young kids then leather might be ok.
(Easier to clean)

I'd save the money, get the cloth and spend the extra $$ on some after market upgrades.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Myself and quite a few owners have complained about the uncomfortable front seats in the Prius which have not been changed since year one. The seat combined with the lack of adjustment available with the steering wheel (telescoptic)all combined with this. It wasn't until I got leather and thus was able to secure some "squish" room instead of being glued to the uncomfortable position that my Prius became bearable.
Just thought, this should be noted!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for your input, everyone! living in temperate san diego, we're not as concerned with leather being too cold during the winter or too hot during the summer. the consensus seems to be that leather in general is easier to clean than cloth; however, do you think that prius leather would actually end up trapping dirt/spills/etc. more because it's perforated?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have perforated leather on the anti-Prius (see below). It doesn't trap dirt etc, but it does weaken the leather. I got one tear from a perforation outwards when a passenger had something in a rear pocket that put too much force on the leather.

The perforated leather breaths a little better than solid leather. BTW, you can get both types from the aftermarket suppliers. Check out katskin.

The leather is easy to clean, whereas cloth is not. I use the Zaino products to clean mine (Z9 is the cleaner). Bonus, the Z10 conditioner (leather in a bottle) smells like new leather, so it "re-installs" the new leather smell in the car. ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just bought package 6 yesterday. Leather is nice, but my daughter says it is so not cruelty free and I won't be able to get Pamela Anderson to go for a ride with me.

Go for the leather.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2002 Avalance and the quality of leather is fantastic.

I also have a 2007 Mazda Miata and the quality of the leather is unbelieveably great!!

The Prius leather I wasn't impressed with at all, so I went with the cloth which is almost like a velour fabric. I think velour went out of fashion back in the 70's. Must be retro fashion for Prius :wink:

·
Registered
237 Posts
drash said:
Leather Cons:
You forgot to add that it's an actual animal's hide you would be wrapping your car in and riding around on. 8)

A con for some, I know for me it is at least. :wink:

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Seven7 said:
You forgot to add that it's an actual animal's hide you would be wrapping your car in and riding around on. 8)

I guess it is better to throw the hides away after the cattle are rendered for food. It isn't like fur, where they raise the animal just for its skin.

·
Registered
16 Posts
People have since the stone ages used animal hide for clothing to building materials. Fur for the sake of fur is not good (clubbed baby seals), but this does not seem like an all or nothing argument for me.

redwein said:
Seven7 said:

I guess it is better to throw the hides away after the cattle are rendered for food. It isn't like fur, where they raise the animal just for its skin.

·
Registered
237 Posts
redwein said:
Seven7 said:

Like I said, not a con for some!. Wearing dead creatures or sitting on their skin just isn't my cup o' tea...

Creeps me out a little, knowing it used to be on something that once ate food and breathed and blinked... and now I'm sitting on it in rush hour traffic on a Tuesday in Ohio. :)

I have had leather seats in previous autos and they are quite comfortable, however. I also particularly enjoyed the MB-Tex vinyl that I had once in a Volvo 240. Very very nice.

I wasn't trying to make an argument, especially for an all or nothing topic on one's personal preference of seating material in a car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts