Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On behalf of a friend: how can one clear the engine light warning - for example if it comes on indicating an oil change is due - and one does not wish to change yet for some reason? Because the light is on, it cannot indicate new problems.

Will the light come right back on because the oil change is due if it is cleared?

I saw a post on this, but can't find it after an exhaustive searche (it's all in the search terms)!

Thanks, Charlie

·
Registered
610 Posts
:roll: An exhaustive search of the 2004 Owner's Manual: Page 122 gives clear instructions on how to reset the "Maintenance Required" light after an oil change.

Likely the same page in the '05 Manual - or very close.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How to reset "maintenance required" light

Sorry: I don't have the manual - the person (I never met before) was generously giving me a test drive in her '05.

I was trying to give her a little reciprocity.

I guess I could tell her "go read the manual".

Because the question was answered somewhere before (perhaps not THIS forum) I assumed the answer is not in the manual.

Thanks for the approx page ref.

Charlie.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Well, are you asking about the M.I.L (Malfunction Indicator lamp) aka the check engine light, or are you asking about the engine oil replacement reminder light (aka Maint Reqd light)?
they are shown in the US 2004 owner's manual, pages 5, 117-118, 120-123.

If you're asking about the Maint Reqd light, it isn't connected to any engine or oil analysis - it just starts blinking 4500 miles since reset, and stays on solid 5000 miles since last reset. It's only a reminder to go in for a service, nothing more.

The MIL, however, tells you that there has been some error code (DTC) in the system, and if it is on you may not pass an emissions inspection... It'll stay lit so long as there is a stored error code, and it'll keep adding the codes to its list of stored codes... Some codes will clear themselves after a certain number of restarts where the problem doesn't occur again (like the loose gas cap code), but most others requires the dealer's scan tool to clear those codes.

To clear the Maint Reqd light (if you do your own oil changes, or if your dealer/service tech forgets to do it for you):
Page 122-123 of the US 2004 Prius Owner's Manual (Section 2-5 "Operation
of Instruments and Controls: Gauges, Meters and Service Reminder
Indicators", item (j) in the "Service reminder indicators and warning
buzzers" section.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Pri ... aintenance

http://www.vfaq.net/FAQ-screen.html#maintenance

page 14 of the User-Guide: http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-userguide.htm

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maintenance Required light

Thank you for the info, Michelle and Chas.

Sorry about my unclear terminology - I'm not an owner yet. You made someone else happy, and I sort of paid off a debt so I'm happy too.

Case closed.

Charlie

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
There's also the C.E.L (Check Engine Lamp) that looks like a car engine, which is a bit different than the MIL (the triangle of doom). The CEL is usually emissions related problems, such as the loose gascap, but the MIL is usually something beyond just the engine, such as the hybrid components, or maybe the power steering. I am not sure, but some engine problems may generate a MIL.

The maint. req. as described above, means it's near time time to change the oil, or at least it's 4500-5000+ miles since the indicator was reset. A Toyota dealer will reset this for you if you get an oil change from them, if they are the least bit competent.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
DanMan32 said:
if they are the least bit competent.
Well, that explains Toyota of Melbourne's mistake

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
DanMan32 said:
There's also the C.E.L (Check Engine Lamp) that looks like a car engine, which is a bit different than the MIL (the triangle of doom). The CEL is usually emissions related problems, such as the loose gascap, but the MIL is usually something beyond just the engine, such as the hybrid components, or maybe the power steering. I am not sure, but some engine problems may generate a MIL.

The maint. req. as described above, means it's near time time to change the oil, or at least it's 4500-5000+ miles since the indicator was reset. A Toyota dealer will reset this for you if you get an oil change from them, if they are the least bit competent.
I'm looking at a 2004 Prius Owner's Manual, page 5.
Big red triangle with an exclamation point on it on the dash is the Master Warning Light. It's not so dire - it just tells you to see the MFD for more information. (It could be telling you that your door is open and the car is in gear, for example, or that your autoleveling HIDs aren't working, or...)
Yellow engine-shaped icon (which might say "CHECK" under it) is the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (M.I.L.). Because of the shape of the icon, some people may call it a Check Engine light, and this is what stores the DTCs, usually emissions related.
One light could come on without the other. (I had the P1436 emissions code on my 2001, just a check engine light, no big red triangle)
You have no issues with the Maint Reqd (Engine Oil Replacement Reminder Light).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts