Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make sure my 06 Prius has been clear-coated before I sign on the dotted line. Does Toyota automatically clear-coat their cars prior to delivery, or does a request have to be made to have it done?

:?:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I'm serious. I had a 1999 Chrysler 300M and a 2002 300M Special. Both were clear-coated before delivery without having to ask. I've never owned a Toyota before.

·
Registered
736 Posts
clear coat

I think that you may be confusing terms here. Clear coat refers to a paint process wherein color is applied first, followed by clear paint, which helps to protect the color coat. Car dealers make a lot of money selling a what amounts to a wax job, which they claim means you will never have to wax the car again, or worry about bird droppings, sprinkler spots, etc. I don't believe in those products myself.
The answer to your question is that Toyota does use a clear coat paint process. It still needs occasional polishing and waxing, but the clear coat makes for a nice deep shine when finished. Interesting fact is, the color coat can be applied as a dull finish, no polishing or buffing, etc. Then the clear coat is applied, and Voila!, the finish is deep and glossy. I have seen this done in a body shop.
Good luck with your new car, and welcome to the forum.
Roger V

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Roger V and Hyperion: Thanks for clarifying "clear coat" for me. Much appreciated. I always wax my car anyway. FYI: a really good wax is made by Zaino Bros. It's easy to apply, lasts a long time, and gives your car a "wet" look. You can't buy it in a store, but you can order it online. Awesome stuff!
:p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts