Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was somewhat surprized when a service rep at my local Toyota dealer said it would be OK to Hose accumulated dust off the engines. Can this be right?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Treydot said:
I was somewhat surprized when a service rep at my local Toyota dealer said it would be OK to Hose accumulated dust off the engines. Can this be right?
On a 'regular' engine it is ok, as long as you don't saturate anything. I detailed cars for the longest time and have had no trouble with water damage. Just make sure the seals and hoses are connected properly before beginning.

Not sure on the hybrids though. I'm not going to try, either.... until someone else does first.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Don't think I'd try it either, just not worth it, but I'd be awfully worried if all that stuff wasn't watertight!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Maybe use a dust fluffy instead of a hose? Just fluffy it and get the loose stuff off. Or only open the hood under candle light. That always makes my living room look better. Also, flattering to the complexion!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am waiting for my 05 and hope the engine is a little more waterproof then some of you are saying as some of the down pours we get in OK could drown out trucks , never had a prob with my camery or my harley and ive had to stop at times because i couldnt see :lol:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Sheesh. Toyota went to a lot of trouble to make the engine compartment water resistant for a reason. There was an early TSB to replace one of the hood seals to prevent failures caused by water inflitration. Anyone who wants to spray water in there, be sure to let us know how that works out for you.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I used to take my old air-cooled VW Bug to the car wash, cover the carb and distributor with plastic bags, and let loose a mf-ing blast of hot soapy water to get all the grime off the motor and tranny. Cleaned it like a charm, and it ran cooler as a result. Only drenched the distributor once and had to blow it dry to start.

Not sure I'll ever get that brave with the Prius, but if the air intake and HT leads are kept dry (or dried before starting), I don't think there would be a problem. You might get a DTC or two if the water changes a resistance reading of some sensor, though.

Hopefully it won't leak oil like the Bug and so won't need it.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Actually, theres not too many ways for anything under the hood to get dirty. The whole works are well covered.
Now those VW's were fun when it was easy to lay on your back. You could remove an engine, replace leaking valve and pan gaskets, hose off and replace the whole thing in a little over half a weekend. And it was good for at least another ten thousand miles.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Do Not Listen to the Guy

Reason: There was a service bulletin put out by Toyota last year where I took my Prius in and the tech added a seal under the hood at the top by the wiper blades, because Prius owners where complaning of water getting into the engine's compartment when going thru car washes and that was a concern for Toyota to keep water OUT of the engines compartment. I detailed my Prius for
5 Auto Show's and 4 Show and Display events, 2 at Penn State Univ. Shenango Campus Engr.Classes and 2 at a Votech School in 2004.
I wiped the engine's compartment with a damp rag or a dry rag to remove the dust. Then I wax what I think needs to shine. Ask that Toyota tech, if he is a Prius Tech, to read about the water leaking when going thru car washes service bulletin.
Tony Liscio

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's a non-issue.

I cleaned the engine compartment everytime I cleaned the car this past winter to do away with the salt. This includes a bucket of water and suds and slobbering everything with an old wash mitt.

-bob

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Dust the engine :?: :!:

I cant tell you the last time I dusted the furniture :!:

I tell my granddaughters that dust is God's sandbox, and all his baby angels and little fairies like to play in it. :D

Sanny has my vote...dont like the dust ? turn down the lights.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
No pan on an air-cooled VW--the two case halves included a chamber that acted as the oil sump. You must mean the oil strainer. But enough about magnetic drain plugs. ;-)

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Re: Do Not Listen to the Guy

Tony Liscio said:
Reason: There was a service bulletin put out by Toyota last year where I took my Prius in and the tech added a seal under the hood at the top by the wiper blades, because Prius owners where complaning of water getting into the engine's compartment when going thru car washes and that was a concern for Toyota to keep water OUT of the engines compartment. I detailed my Prius for
5 Auto Show's and 4 Show and Display events, 2 at Penn State Univ. Shenango Campus Engr.Classes and 2 at a Votech School in 2004.
I wiped the engine's compartment with a damp rag or a dry rag to remove the dust. Then I wax what I think needs to shine. Ask that Toyota tech, if he is a Prius Tech, to read about the water leaking when going thru car washes service bulletin.
Tony Liscio
not a service bulletin, but a service campaign. LSC/SSC 40E.

·
Registered
4 Posts
cleaning the engine

It will not damage your car to clean the engine with the water hose. My parents house in P.R. is near an under construction highway. They have to drive through the construction site to reach the main highway. The engine bay of PRPrius would get full of dust after just a couple of trips. All the cars ahead of use would lift a huge cloud of dust and the Prius fans would pick it up. I just decided to hose it down to get rid of the dirt. I also use Master Mechanic to clean the engine and make it look just out of the showroom. Master Mechanic is a non-abrasive degreaser, it will not damage aluminum components like other degreasers. Just clean the engine before you wash the car, that way it dries by the time you finish washing the car. I have only being able to find master mechanic in Pep boys located in PR. Here in texas I have not seen it anywhere, that is why on my last trip to P.R. I mail a box with several bottles to my house in TX.
With TXPrius I haven't had the need to clean the engine bay. If I ever needed to clean it one day, I would not think about it twice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts