Toyota Prius Forum banner

Cleaning Interior

12K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Nocry 
#1 ·
I have a new 2006 with grey interior. Already there is a dark smudge on the cloth that covers the center console/armrest. (I wish the cloth was dark grey like the Toyota web site implied, instead of light grey.) Anyway, it seems like this will be difficult to keep clean. Does anyone have a recommendation for what I can safely clean it with?

#2 ·
It depends on what the soiling is....engine grease or just light soiling?

I have the light grey too, and it has travelled with 3 kids under 12 for more than 2 years. It still looks pretty good...almost new in fact.

I followed the advice of an auto detailer....I use a solution of very dilute"de-greasing cleaner"...like 409 or Fantistic. I use the orange/citrus version. I guess I put about 1/8th cleaner in the bottle and the rest water.

I spray it lightly on soiled areas (including arm rests and center console), and then gently rub with a damp sponge. If it's stubborn, I may brush gently. I have a shop vac that I use to suck out the water afterwards.

Seems to work...although of course experiences will vary. My experience is that you don't have to go after it hard. Use very dilute cleaners and be very gentle.

Hope this helps.

#3 ·
I also have the gray interior. I believe that the fabric is the same in 05 as 06. The armrest has a knap to it, more so than the seats. On occasion I have though I had dirt on the fabric, however when I brushed the fabric in one direction the "stain" disappeared. It wasn't a stain. It sometimes requires being brushed down to reduce the appearance of fibers that are not aligned in the same direction as the rest.

Although you might actually have dirt there and then a light detergent applied with a washcloth should do the trick. Don't use something that has a lot of suds. What you want to use is something that requires little rinsing and quite dilute.

#4 ·
Armrest

Hey there,

I second (or third) what the above folks wrote. Also, I ended up buying a leather armrest cover on E-Bay, and it was a great purchase. The cover fits snugly and looks completely stock. No more dirt!
The sellers were on Ebay; this is their info:
lindbergh61 (robin485@netzero.com)

No relation or affiliation, other than as a satisfied customer. Very quick shipping too . . .

Hope this helps,
Luis

#6 ·
I can advise on the issue of car interior dressing, as I recently searched for information myself. Now more and more people are using the best-car-interior-dressing-interior-dressing products for cleaning, protecting plastic and vinyl, leather conditioners, which I read about at https://www.fortador-usa.com/blog/best-car-interior-dressing-interior-dressing- for-auto-detailing really describes what is interior dressing car wash and what products are better to use. I really liked the Fortador Leather Vinyl Trim which helped me keep the leather fresh and the plastic shiny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.