Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone living in Northern VA had any problems with getting the CF tags? I have been trying to figure the exact procedure but each time I call DMV, I get a different answer. I have faxed the form with the request for the new tags several times to DMV in Richmond. Inspite of owning a Prius, I am unable to use the HOV lanes on 66 as DMV tells me that it is illegal. Need help on how to speed up the process.....

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Alternate Fuel Vehicle (Clean Air) Tags in Arizona

We have the same problem here in Arizona. Some of the early Prius' got the AFV tags "by mistake" in 2001 and 2002; but, supposedly, all of these were recalled by the AZ Dept of Transportation.

There were some recent statements in the newspaper about readdressing this issue, but I haven't heard anything firm yet. The Arizona legislature is leaning towards approval, but there is some question about the Feds withholding highway money.

It really irks me that giant SUVs with CNG (compressed natural gas) signs and AFV plates pass me in the HOV lane, when most of them are burning regular gasoline all the time. (It is common knowledge that they never fill up those little five gallon tanks with CNG.) -- Dang!

Has anyone in Arizona heard any news on this topic?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have run across the same problem in Georgia. Hybrid electrics are not allowed in the HOV with a single rider. The Georgia DOT website contridcts itself by stating that Hybrid electric cars are not allowed; however, it also states that cars rated from the manufacturer as LEV can use the HOV lane. There was also a local newscast that reported that the Prius and Insight could use the HOV.
When I tried to get an AFV tag the DMV produced a list of cars that are allowed to have the AFV tag. The Prius,Insight, and Civic were on a "NOT ALLOWED" list.
The reason I was given is that the car has to run on alternitive fuel source 65% of the time. The reason I think that they will not issue a AFV tag for the HOV is that the auto manufacturers will be releasing more models that have Hybrid technology which would increase the cars in the HOV.
I think the DOT should not alow any AFV in the HOV if they are truly concerned about the enviorment.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
VA only has HOV allowance!

The federal highway system requires
that for federally-funded highways with
HOV lanes, that they have the
prerequisite number of people in the
vehicle to ride in the HOV lanes, or
be a SULEV AND ILEV vehicle.

The Prius is a SULEV (as is a number
of other non-hybrid cars), but since
the Prius uses gasoline it does not
meet the ILEV specification (Inherently
Low Emission Vehicle).

VA somehow managed to get their
hybrids grandfathered in to use the
HOV lanes, but the feds aren't happy
about it (the allowance is supposed
to be phased out).

Other states have bills stating that
hybrids can use the HOV lanes, should
the federal government decide to
allow it.

Currently, only VA vehicles with the
VA Clean Fuels license plate are
allowed to drive solo in the VA HOV
lanes.

Otherwise, you need to have the
correct number of people in your
Prius to ride in HOV lanes. (until
the federal government changes the
ILEV regulation, anyways...)

·
Registered
17 Posts
It is difficult to get the correct tags, even from the dealer. I had the wrong ones show up, and they said DMV was shipping a lot of incorrect plates, and they couldn't take then back to DMV, they then had to get the correct plate from Richmond. I hope mine shows up soon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I didn't find it difficult to get the Clean Special Fuel (CF) tags for my '04 Prius late last year, just tedious!

I was (of course) in a rush, but nobody else was. I had to wait for the title # (I received it when I received my "normal" tags), and then I had to fax in the application for the CF tags to Richmond (the only location that processes these). About two weeks later, I received a new title with my CF tags.

I wanted to get vanity plates for mine, but couldn't afford the wait (60 days!). Every day with my Prius but without the ability to drive in the HOV lane by myself was killing me!

BTW ... I see a lot of new hybrids with temporary tags driving in the HOV lane. It IS illegal (asked VDOT myself). You have to have the CF tag to avoid being pulled over.

Of course, I rarely see State Troopers enforcing the law on the Dulles Toll Road so ... <shrugging>.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts