Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the call this morning that my Prius had come in. Went and got it. Got it sans Toyoguard and floormats. VIN Etching and floormats will be ordered, and care will be taken to get some fabric protectant and maybe some good paint sealant. Will also rain-x the windshield. Should I do the rear windsheild? Anyway, I'm psyched. Who's got tips for the newbie? (I'm gonna read the manual tonight!)

http://bradleygarland.com/vehicular

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Just a personal opinion, I wouldn't let Rain-X within 25 feet of my car. I used it once and vowed to never use it again. It streaks badly when driving at night in the rain.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I love Rain-X - I used it on all the windows on my truck. I have it on my Prius back window - don't forget the lower window, it picks up a lot of misting..

I don't have it on the front as I have Diamond Fusion on there, it acts like Rain-x and is supposed to last about 4 years..
:?
The Rain-x needs to be applied in 2 coats and buffed really well and it should not streak. They also make a Rain-X winshield washer additive that helps a lot as well. :)

Also, make sure the windows are not how when you put it on - if it dries too quick, it streaks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
The windows must be very clean before applying Rain-X. You also must buff the windows very well with a clean cloth to prevent any streaking. I do front and back windows every six months. Yes, the lower back tinted window is very important. Do not do plastic parts or insides of windows.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have used Rain-X on my cars for years and they have always been crystal clear and streak free. Just follow the simple directions on the bottle. I always do all of the windows and even the mirrors and headlights. The coolest thing is with Rain-X you really do not need to use your wipers. The water literally jumps off the windows. Great visability.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I used Rain-X on my old 1993 Chevy Lumina. I remember one time driving on a highway in the worst storm of my life and I didnt have to use the wipers at all. It was a liberating feeling. However, I've noticed that the Rain-X hasn't worked quite as well on the Prius. I think because of it's more aerodynamic shape, the windshield doesn't get hit as hard by the wind thereby forcing the water off of it. I tried to drive without using the wipers. I didn't want to admit that something wasn't as good on my new Prius compared to the Lumina, but I just couldn't do it. I still use the Rain-X, it just doesn't seem to be as effective...

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Hey,Asian Brad,

I'm glad you got your Prius & are so happy with it! Great little site you created with great pics too! However, I do have one question regard'g the rear shot identify'g the camera location. Were you not able to move the "<rear camera is here" text to the proper location? Or didn't you realise that the lens is in the license plate recess, just under the top lip(to the left of the hatch release near the left license plate light) about 1/2 way between the left side of the license plate & the left edge of the recess. I can clearly see the little black lens housing peek'g out from under the lip(hatch lift handle) in your photo. Have lots of fun with your car & keep on post'g here at PriusOnLine. My '05 has about 9,300 miles on it now & I've loved every mile & minute in it. I don't have a rear camera though, but I understand it can be retro-fitted(at a cost of around $895 in Calif). I might consider it. In the meantime, again, you have fun with yours.

Ken(in Bolton,Ct)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts