Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bought a classic as a used car? What is the life expectancy of the classic? What are somethings to look for? Is the Toyota certified warranty worth paying extra? Thanks for your advice. :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
badu said:
Has anyone bought a classic as a used car? What is the life expectancy of the classic? What are somethings to look for? Is the Toyota certified warranty worth paying extra? Thanks for your advice. :eek:
The classics are a good deal now, with the long waits on the 2004.

Check the usual things for a used car, like a title check, accident repairs, overall appearance, etc.

The only things to watch out for (that you may need to have replaced) is the tires (have alignment checked as part of the purchase deal), and the 12v accessory battery (if sitting unused on the lot for a long time, may run down and its longevity is gone (needs to be replaced).
If a 2001, check to make sure that if it was part of the steering rack recall group, that the recall was performed.

In the US (and I assume elsewhere), all warranties transfer over. 3/36k bumper-to-bumper, 8/100 hybrid system, 5/60 powertrain, etc. Same goes for the 3 year/36000 mile free Toyota Roadside Assistance/Tire&Wheel road hazard warranty, and the free first 5 regularly scheduled services (out to 30 months/37,500 miles).

If this is a private-party sale, and they have the extended warranty, it can be transferred over to you for ~$50. If the car is below the 3yr/36,000miles, you can have the original owner get the Toyota Extra Care Platinum extended warranty for you, and transfer it to you at the sale.

I don't know what the dealer's Certified Used warranty gets you, could you provide more info?

·
Registered
50 Posts
mrv said:
In the US (and I assume elsewhere), all warranties transfer over. 3/36k bumper-to-bumper, 8/100 hybrid system, 5/60 powertrain, etc. Same goes for the 3 year/36000 mile free Toyota Roadside Assistance/Tire&Wheel road hazard warranty, and the free first 5 regularly scheduled services (out to 30 months/37,500 miles).
Be sure to get all maintenance records with a used car, especially if it still has remaining warranty left. You don't want to find out that something failed because the previous owner did not do maintenance on schedule, and warranty service on that failure is denied because it is a failure to do maintenance, not a manufacturing defect. Note also that if there are no records, you'll have to do "catch up" maintenance at additional expense.

·
Registered
3 Posts
used classic

I'd been on the 2004 list sooo long i gave up and bought a 2002. I think they are a great deal because the market seems to be soft. The guy tried to sell his for 3 months before i bought it. No one (public in general)understands what they are. He said that people would call on his ad and say "I'm looking for a corrola.. what is a Prius.?"

I paid significantly under book...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I love my 2001!

I have a 2001, picked up at the beginning of the year.....

It's a fantastic car.... Just this week, the steering rack had to be replaced! lol

Other than that, it's just funky..... No problems.

That was done under warranty anyway!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yep

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2002 for sale

Hi.

I'm selling my 2002 on ebay. here's the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2482416854&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT

it's got low miles and is in brand-new excellent condition. I've been waiting for a year to buy my 2004 from Dianne Whitmire at Carson Toyota and my car is coming soon...i think.

My wife is from Wisconsin and based on my experience, knows everybody who has lived, driven, or flown over that state.

Best,
Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2002 for sale

Hi.

I'm selling my 2002 on ebay. here's the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2482416854&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT

it's got low miles and is in brand-new excellent condition. I've been waiting for a year to buy my 2004 from Dianne Whitmire at Carson Toyota and my car is coming soon...i think.

My wife is from Wisconsin and based on my experience, knows everybody who has lived, driven, or flown over that state.

Best,
Paul

·
Registered
54 Posts
The problem with failing rack has been so notorious that I have heard that Toyota had extended the warranty on racks to five years. You may want to consider purchasing a GOOD extended warranty for the vehicle is expensive to fix.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would only consider buying a classic Prius if the price is really low. The 2004 model is larger, more practical (lift back), better looking, and has an electric air conditioner compressor. You will note that a number of classic owners are trading their cars for 2004s.

If the classic is a bargain, go for it. If there's not a considerable difference in price, buy a new car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts