Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2002 Prius just turned over 100,000 miles; and in the past few months, it developed a squeak in the front end when turning the steering wheel. It only happens when actively turning the steering wheel, not when in a turn (with the steering wheel held in position). It is obvious it is in the steering box somewhere, as it occurs when parked and turning the steering wheel, too.

This started out as a minor annoyance, when the car was first driven in the morning, and only in left turns. Now, it occurs all the time, turning in both directions, and it has gotten louder. Guess it's time to take it to the dealer; but I really hope it's not the rack and pinion steering box, as that is really expensive.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yep, I have the same thing in my 2001, 80,000 miles. Squeaks as I turn it to the left, comes and goes. I was thinking dry ball joint maybe? Have not taken it in yet but will do when I get time and I can catch it in the act.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I still haven't made it to the dealer yet. The noise seems to have lessened since our daytime highs have gone down a little.

I am due for an oil change and tire rotation soon. I usually do these myself, since our Prius is no longer in warranty; but, I'll probably have the dealer do this maintenance and check out the front end at the same time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts