Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else's check engine light gone on when their Prius was brand new?

Our light went on in the first week, took to dealer, they said it was exhaust system coating. I assume they ran the car for an hour to burn it off (gas gage went down, no miles added, is this good for the car?!).

Now it's gone on again. I know it means there's an emissions problem. Not a desireable thing on a supposed SULEV. Has this happened to anyone else? If yes, any ideas as to whether the dealer is correct?

Thanks to anyone who can shed light on this!

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Sippy said:
Has anyone else's check engine light gone on when their Prius was brand new?

Our light went on in the first week, took to dealer, they said it was exhaust system coating. I assume they ran the car for an hour to burn it off (gas gage went down, no miles added, is this good for the car?!).

Now it's gone on again. I know it means there's an emissions problem. Not a desireable thing on a supposed SULEV. Has this happened to anyone else? If yes, any ideas as to whether the dealer is correct?

Thanks to anyone who can shed light on this!
sounds like they read the TSB, but didn't follow it. To burn off the exhaust stuff, you have to DRIVE the vehicle on the highway for a bit. It's rather common for this to trigger a check engine light on a new (<200mi) Prius.

Take a look at the TSB EG018-03 which is over at http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=1499

Also, make sure that your gas cap is secure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, my check engine light came on right after I picked up the car, at about 15 miles on the odometer. Having some experience with this phenomenon on another car, I first stopped the car, turned everything off, removed the gas filler cap, and replaced it, making sure it was tight.
The light remained on, so I called the dealer, and he also thought it was the gas tank issue. He said to bring it in to the service dept. to have it checked. The light went out halfway to the dealer the next morning.
The dealer said to not worry unless it comes on again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check Engine Light

Picked up my spanky new 2004 Prius about 2 weeks ago. Next day check engine light came on. Went back to dealer - maintenance tech said not uncommon (after checking codes), reset indicator and dealer said, "Go forth and drive." I did, and 2 days later the light came on again. This time dealer dusted off a TSB on the subject, did a "break in drive", reset the indicator and once again said, "Go forth and drive."

Sure enough, after another couple of days, the light was on again. This time dealer scratched head (and assorted other body parts) and decided to keep the Prius over the weekend (grounded for misbehaving, I guess) and said, "Go forth and drive this brand new Mercedes while we figure out what is going on with this @%#$# Prius." Got the Prius back today with a promise that all is well - they put about 50 miles of interstate highway driving on the Prius and the test values are now in the normal range. We'll see...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
check engine light on in first miles

Our check engine light went on and off for the first week or so (I posted the original message above). But it went off for good after a several hundred mile road trip (after about 5-600 miles put on car). Dealer said it was muffler coating and that's probably what it was. We havn't had any further problems. So drive and enjoy! Your mileage will improve too after the first 1k or so.

Sippy

·
Registered
248 Posts
My experience was different no check engine light. I was told by the service person that Toyota had "fixed that problem". I asked because I was going to be driving from Helena MT to Olympia WA and wanted to know what I should do on Saturday and Sunday if it happened. I had to be at work on Monday. Now having said all that I drove the car to the hotel from the dealer, about 2 miles, checked in and drove to Craig Mt about 40-50 miles away on I-15 then back. Speed limit 75. I did 60-65. (Was passed by an identical silver 04 doing 80!!!). We did a little city driving but now I had 100 miles on the car at freeway speeds. The next day a bit more city driving then on US-12 to I-90. Just a two lane but in Montana the speed limit is 70. Finished the trip to Missoula with 245 mi. on the car then drove the next day to Olympia on I-90 speed limits 75-65. Mostly drove at or below the limit with cruse control. I may have bypassed the check engine light thing by burning off any coating. I was watching for it to blink on.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Everybody's check engine light comes on. Not having yet found these discussion boards, I returned to the dealer and was told to drive it fairly hard on the highway for a while. It never came back on. The hard driving burns off that exhaust-system coating that was triggering the O2 sensor.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Mine never even flickered. I was watching it carefully. Hmmm May be Toyota fixed it. Will they automaticly check codes at the 5000k.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
As reported elsewhere :) At 366 miles, mine came on... O2 Sensor was the cause.

As for my driving habits, over 225 of those miles were on the highway with the cruise control at 69 (to avoid excessive speed)

·
Registered
74 Posts
This happened to me with my '04 about 2 weeks ago at about 250 miles. I took it to the dealer and they fixed it after about 1hr 15 min. On the repair invoice the issue was described as:

TSB EG3005
Verification of Oxygen Storage Capacity

The Service Manager said that "most" of the new Prius they are getting have to have this worked on in the first few weeks of ownership. He described the work as a "recalibration" of the computer, not a software change.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts