Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the way to get on the freeway tonoc, as I slowed to stop for a red light, I got a "check engine" together with the "master warning light".

I pulled over, ckd all the obvious things, fluid levels, etc. Everything on the car (2004 22,300 miles, no problems), all accessories, etc were working fine.

I drove it about 30 miles, mostly freeway, home, everything continued to work fine.

The "master warning light" went out, but the "check engine" stayed on when I made an intermediate stop and restarted the car (at Toyota sales to find out what time service opened tomorrow).

My dealer has sunday service hours, so I will take it in tomorrow.

Any others experience similar ??

I kept checking the energy & consumption screens, and all looked normal, battery charging, blue & green lines, energy flow etc. No other irregular behavior of the car.

Since the manual says the first thing to ck is if you ran out of gas (I had 3/4 tank at the time), I removed and replaced the gas filler cap a couple of times to make sure it was secure. No difference.

I'll post the trip to the dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
919 Posts
An04Prius said:
On the way to get on the freeway tonoc, as I slowed to stop for a red light, I got a "check engine" together with the "master warning light".

I pulled over, ckd all the obvious things, fluid levels, etc. Everything on the car (2004 22,300 miles, no problems), all accessories, etc were working fine.

I drove it about 30 miles, mostly freeway, home, everything continued to work fine.

The "master warning light" went out, but the "check engine" stayed on when I made an intermediate stop and restarted the car (at Toyota sales to find out what time service opened tomorrow).

My dealer has sunday service hours, so I will take it in tomorrow.

Any others experience similar ??

I kept checking the energy & consumption screens, and all looked normal, battery charging, blue & green lines, energy flow etc. No other irregular behavior of the car.

Since the manual says the first thing to ck is if you ran out of gas (I had 3/4 tank at the time), I removed and replaced the gas filler cap a couple of times to make sure it was secure. No difference.

I'll post the trip to the dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
919 Posts
Meant to say Thanks for letting us know the results. This could very likely happen to many of us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
669 Posts
I've now forgotten the details, but if you put in gas that is high-octane or (I think) top off the tank too much and get spillage in the wrong place, or don't seat the gas cap correctly you can have warning lights come on that you need the dealer to turn off. I have a vague recollection of this being mentioned when I went to the dealer's seminar to get my free voucher for 5k service (and sponge bob air freshener).

Someone may be able to clairfy the fuzziness above... I wonder if this is what happened, though, as it would otherwise be benign.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SPONGE BOB AIR FRESHENER !! :shock: I never got any !!!! :x :x


So, here is the rest of the story:

When I got up at 6:30am, on Sunday, to go to Toyota service (ugh ! but when the little cub coughs, I take him to the medicine man 8) ), the check light was out. But I went anyway. As KT noted, it stores a code.

Service adviser said good I came in, I may need "the software update", we've been seeing a number of these. I did need it. Here is the detail for techies and all:

My car showed DTC (somethin somethin Trouble Code) P3191. The problem is addressed with TSB (Tech Service Bulletin) EG047-04. Title: M.I.L. "ON" DTC P3191, P3190, and/or P0A0F. Models '04-'05 Prius.

Original TSB date was OCT 18, 2004. TSB revision Feb 22, 2005.

SUGGESTION: if you get a M.I.L. (the red triangle with a :!: I think)and/or a "check engine" (little yellow engine) that stays on for any significant period of time, then goes off later, TAKE CAR IN ANYWAY. You may catch a problem before it strands you.

They had car for about 4 hours. To me it is significant that this is a TSB as opposed to the one called "40D" which was a Service Campaign.

The main difference being (and I am a big dumb Polar Bear expressing an opinion, not an expert) that a campaign sends a letter to everyone effected and encourages them to come in for the update.

It appears that a TSB is done if someone reports a problem, or perhaps if a tech picks it up in normal service.

By the way, the TSB said that the tech was to verify that Special Service Campaign 40D had been done on the vehicle (I did it in June 04) as:

"40D is required to fully correct the P3191, etc...condition."

As a special reward for coming in early on a Sunday to take care of my cub he turned up the hidden dial :shock: locked away in the Hybrid system 8) that will increase my mpg by 7.6mpg

...OOOOOOOkay made up that last part to tease the mpg junkies :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
919 Posts
What did your Service Campaign 40D entail that you had done in June? Does this mean your car has been in twice for basically the same problem? Or is there something I'm missing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
evander said:
What did your Service Campaign 40D entail that you had done in June? Does this mean your car has been in twice for basically the same problem? Or is there something I'm missing?
40D was a letter I received from Toyota around 5-04, saying software upgrade needed. I had that done. I was not experiencing any problems, just responded to the Toyota letter.

The TSB I looked at today, that was put on my car today, as a result of the "check engine" light, was dated Oct 18, 2004, revised Feb 2005. The TSB made the statement I quoted, saying that 40D was required for the TSB.

So, my opinion is they are two different inter-dependent sw upgrades, 40D first, then this TSB sw upgrade.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,815 Posts
evander said:
What did your Service Campaign 40D entail that you had done in June? Does this mean your car has been in twice for basically the same problem? Or is there something I'm missing?
I posted the SSC 40D reprogramming and the SSC 40E weatherstripping letter, and links to the US TSB EG047-04 over on this thread:
http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=4915
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
The 40D service campaign is substantially bigger than the 32A or even the 36C campaign... Depends on the service guy which he prefers, but the 'literature' on his workstation wall usually refers at least to the D - sometimes even double D. :shock:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,815 Posts
Sanny said:
The 40D service campaign is substantially bigger than the 32A or even the 36C campaign... Depends on the service guy which he prefers, but the 'literature' on his workstation wall usually refers at least to the D - sometimes even double D. :shock:
I can't say I've ever heard of 32A or 36C.

The SSCs/LSCs tend to be year-related. 30[sequential letter] for 2003 campaigns, 40[sequential letter] for 2004 campaigns.
LSC 30D was for the 2001 Prius, for the EMPS ECU replacement.
40A was for the 2004 Prius, and was a reprogramming. It was replaced by the 40D reprogramming.
40E is the 2004 Prius, for some engine compartment weatherstripping
40G is the Classic Prius battery preventative maintenance (resealing)
40J is the 2004-2005 Prius Navigation DVD upgrade
40L is the 2004-2005 Prius brake switch recall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
919 Posts
Sanny said:
The 40D service campaign is substantially bigger than the 32A or even the 36C campaign... Depends on the service guy which he prefers, but the 'literature' on his workstation wall usually refers at least to the D - sometimes even double D. :shock:
Now you're getting personal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Astrowoman said:
Sanny said:
Hehehe. ;) Just checkin' who's payin attention.
My cup runneth over...

I didn't say that.

I didn't say that!
I see no need to bust up this thread.
8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mrv said:
Sanny said:
The 40D service campaign is substantially bigger than the 32A or even the 36C campaign... Depends on the service guy which he prefers, but the 'literature' on his workstation wall usually refers at least to the D - sometimes even double D. :shock:
I can't say I've ever heard of 32A or 36C.

The SSCs/LSCs tend to be year-related. 30[sequential letter] for 2003 campaigns, 40[sequential letter] for 2004 campaigns.
LSC 30D was for the 2001 Prius, for the EMPS ECU replacement.
40A was for the 2004 Prius, and was a reprogramming. It was replaced by the 40D reprogramming.
40E is the 2004 Prius, for some engine compartment weatherstripping
40G is the Classic Prius battery preventative maintenance (resealing)
40J is the 2004-2005 Prius Navigation DVD upgrade
40L is the 2004-2005 Prius brake switch recall.
Michelle, either you have led a very sheltered life, or you win the "most subtle comic" award.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,815 Posts
An04Prius said:
mrv said:
Sanny said:
The 40D service campaign is substantially bigger than the 32A or even the 36C campaign... Depends on the service guy which he prefers, but the 'literature' on his workstation wall usually refers at least to the D - sometimes even double D. :shock:
I can't say I've ever heard of 32A or 36C.

The SSCs/LSCs tend to be year-related. 30[sequential letter] for 2003 campaigns, 40[sequential letter] for 2004 campaigns.
LSC 30D was for the 2001 Prius, for the EMPS ECU replacement.
40A was for the 2004 Prius, and was a reprogramming. It was replaced by the 40D reprogramming.
40E is the 2004 Prius, for some engine compartment weatherstripping
40G is the Classic Prius battery preventative maintenance (resealing)
40J is the 2004-2005 Prius Navigation DVD upgrade
40L is the 2004-2005 Prius brake switch recall.
Michelle, either you have led a very sheltered life, or you win the "most subtle comic" award.
and sometimes I'm just slow to get the joke. <sigh>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,161 Posts
P3191 - Engine did not start.
Restarting the car (power off, power back on) often resolves the problem, but definitely get the TSB done.
Even with this occuring, you still have electric power and locomotion.

I believe the reason this hasn't become a campaign yet is that Toyota is still tweaking the MAP and other codes for best emissions, economy, power, and reliability. When they get the best of it all, then they should come out with a campaign.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top