Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well not really--just a nervous mother. Took it right in to the dealership. The guy at the desk looked at me and said "Lady it could be dozens of things...does the car run OK? Probably didn't get the gas cap on right. Bring it back Thursday morning at 7:00am"

OK--so I checked the gas cap...he was right on -- gas cap wasn't on right. Will the car reset itself or do I still need to take it to the dealer to have the light reset? Please advise TIA

Red-faced nervous Mother!

Patti

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
It'll reset itself in a few start ups.

Just remember that the CEL (check engine light) isn't an emergency thing and you won't hurt the car by driving it a while until you can have it checked out.

If you just can't wait to have it checked but don't want the dealer to get annoyed with you most Auto-Zone auto parts stores will check DTC/CEL codes for you with their OBDII/CAN reader just for the asking.

And make sure that gas cap clicks at least once and 2-3 times just to be sure when you fill up.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Actually, after doing some reading, the CEL, which Toyota calls the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) can illuminate for MANY things, many of them dealing with engine trouble, but some strictly on emissions. This is the lamp that ODB requires.

Then you have the triangle of doom, which is officially called the Master Warning Lamp. I have mistakenly been calling this lamp the MIL. This light usually illuminates for hybrid problems and non-engine related problems, but can come on for strictly engine problems too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for the information. I feel soooooo much better. I freaked out yesterday when I saw the light for the first time. I'm sure the guy at the dealership thought I was an idiot. But I absolutely LOVE my car. I've never felt this way about a car before. I can totally understand how and why people get so car crazy now that I have my Prius.

Patti
(2005 Tideland -- package 4)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts