Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've been reading the forum since I got my 2002 Prius in March 02 and, though I've benefitted from all manner of discussion, this is my first post. I've also posted this in the technical forum under a thread entitled "2100 mile check engine light" that was already underway.

My Prius just got a check engine light last week. Took it in and they got a code that said "replace front exhaust", so they did, as well as the gaskets where that pipe connected to the other components. (If needed, I can get the exact code off the paperwork) I was glad this was before the 36,000 mile mark and under warranty as the job was priced at over $1500. From what I'm told, I got a new catalytic converter when they replaced that pipe, which is why the cost was so high.

Anyone else had this problem or have other information as to what caused it? I would like to know if the exhaust replacement handles the cause, or just the symptom (which means I can look forward to another replacement sometime when the warranty ends?). Can anyone post the contents of TSB EG018-03 as I haven't been able to access the link posted in the technical forum.

This is the only unanticipated problem I've had with "Penny" so far. Just replaced the OEM tires with Goodyear Allegras from SAM'S Club at 30K miles, but I was lucky to have them last that long.

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check Engine Light Monthly

I have a 2001 Prius with 80,000 miles and the check engine light comes on monthly since I bought it in February 2003. I have taken it toToyota each time and they have never found anything wrong with the vehicle. Coincidentally, when the check engine light comes on, the car will have difficulty starting once or twice and inevitably the check engine light will disappear by the next day. Toyota has attributed this to oil on the engine which evaporates by the next day. At any rate, all the check ups have found nothing so I ignore the check engine light nowadays because the car continues to run perfectly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts